The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   i need some advice on how to train my mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-need-some-advice-how-train-20862/)

cheyenne165 01-15-2009 12:04 AM

i need some advice on how to train my mare

my mare Cheyenne is the love of my life, i love her to death but there is one, well several problems that have worsened over time. 1 when i saddle her up (i have tried everything she just hates the saddle, its not too tight, its extremely padded) she hates it, she will bite at me when i start to put the saddle on her.. 2 when i attempt to get on her she walks and makes it impossible to get on her and 3 if i get on her she will buck and rear like crazy to get me off like somehow she thinks im going to hurt her. i do not use spurs, or whip her so abuse is out of the question. its horrible because i want to ride her and take her out into the mountains but its impossible for her to get relaxed with the saddle on her. can anyone help me out?!?! or at least have a suggestion

mlkarel2010 01-15-2009 12:06 AM

You might want to have one of the mods move this to the training section. It would get more views and responses there.

First can you tell me more about her? How old is she? How much training does she have?

cheyenne165 01-15-2009 12:14 AM

she is nine years old, she was trained with spurs and whips but she was good with that type of thing you know, i have tried to use the spurs and that made her more enraged.

wild_spot 01-15-2009 12:16 AM

It really sounds like a pain issue to me... I would suggest getting a chiropractor out to check if she is out/sore anywhere through the shoulders/back. Have you had her teeth checked? Have you had your saddle fitted to her?

cheyenne165 01-15-2009 12:19 AM

ya the saddle is fitted to her, and her teeth get checked regularly. alright i will get a chiropractor out here and i will give ya'll an update

onetoomany 01-15-2009 12:27 AM

I would just like to point out that extra padding doesn't make for a better saddle fit. If your saddle is fitted to her, lots of padding is only going to make it pinch and if you need that much padding to make your saddle fit... your saddle doesn't fit and you should start shopping. If your horse's problems are as radical as you say, you should enlist the help of a professional.

wild_spot 01-15-2009 05:12 PM

Let us know how it goes. My horse had a sore back and whenever I would put the saddle on he would turn and try to bite.

mlkarel2010 01-15-2009 07:16 PM

It sounds like pain. Or she's getting worked to hard or while she's being ridden she has some kind of pain. If that's not it, then it's a respect issue