The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Not loving this! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/not-loving-208690/)

Fort fireman 06-07-2013 01:46 PM

Not loving this!

Ok, heres the deal. I have a 12 year old Blue Heeler. i got him when he was around 6 weeks old and he has been my buddy ever since. When he was about 5 he had my buddies toddler son jump on him off the couch. he was laying on a hard wood floor and it hurt him pretty bad. One of the only times I've heard him yip. Well now my daughter is going on 2 years old and Roper is a nevous wreck around her. He is outside most of the time and even then if she comes out to play he either runs away, sits and shakes or growls at her. Even if she isn't paying him any attention. The growling is what is bothering me. i will not put my daughter at risk of getting bit.
Roper seems to get over his fear once the kid gets to be around 5-6. At least he did with my nephew. So i think he will get over it with Katie. However we are expecting a second on July 1. By the time katie gets to be 4-5 we will have Breanne right behind. i don't think it is fair to have a dog living inconstant fear and i deffinately don't think it is fair to put my daughters at risk.
I talked to my wife about it yesterday and she started crying over it. it may just be the pregnant hormones but i think she is inagreement. i think we may need to find Roper a new home. i reeeeaaaallllly don't want to but i will not put my daughters at risk. This just really sucks. i was so hoping that he would have ended up being my daughters dog as much as mine but it doesn't seem to be going that way.
I just needed to vent a bit about the whole deal. THIS SUCKS!!!

michaelvanessa 06-07-2013 02:42 PM

dog trust.

ok im going to come up with a mad idear ok.
how about if you get your dog a muzle and have your daughter interact with the dog and try different thing to help the bonding along.
i think its worth a try befor throwing the towl in and its a shame to part ways like that but like you have said your puting your fammaly first although your dog is fammaly its up seting all the same.
i hope a solution is found frend.
i wish you and your fammaly well includeing your dog.
its good to vent keep us in the loop ok to how things are going.

Speed Racer 06-07-2013 02:46 PM

Instead of trying to rehome an extremely old dog, either wait and see how he'll be with the baby, or have him put down. He'll be even more fearful and extremely confused if you give him away. It'd be much kinder to put him down at home, surrounded by familiar places and people.

nickers103 06-07-2013 02:49 PM

michaelvanessa has an interesting point. Perhaps muzzling the dog and allowing your daughter to interact with him that way may provide a different approach?

michaelvanessa 06-07-2013 03:02 PM

options.

speed racer that is a very vallid point you have there.
i hope that it can be resolved and the dog stays at home.
i would think given a bit more time things will work out for the best and the dog will settle down.
its just time and i will think the dog will get over it i think the dog was shocked and had the wind knocked out of its sails.
i think give your daughter and the dog space to interact but with a safe guard of a muzle and you can guage how thay are going.
let them play a game togeather and have a biscuit as a reward and i think thay will bond and the issue resolved.
your best frend will all ways be your best frend he will settle.

morganarab94 06-07-2013 03:14 PM

My boyfriends dog does this. He will sit and growl but that's all it is, growl. I think the muzzle idea is a good one. I also agree that giving away an old dog isn't the best idea, he will be more confused. Does the dog allow her to pet him and such or is he just a constant ball of fear around her?
I hope you find something that helps him overcome his fear.:)

Fort fireman 06-07-2013 04:13 PM

We've done a muzzle since Katie started walking and he started growling. She has petted him and threw the ball and it hasn't helped. He'll be good for a day and go right back to growling and shaking and actually loses blader control at times. This has been going on for almost a year now. Or since Katie started on the move.

BarrelracingArabian 06-07-2013 04:32 PM

Don't rehome him, the bladder problem could be something in itself he is 12. He has had a good life and i don't think it is fair to put him in a new environment that could potentially stress him out especially for his last years. It would be much kinder for him to be out down surrounded by the family he knows, trusts and loves. The muzzling things a good idea, how about having her toss him treats, feed him , etc so he associates her with good things. The muzzling then having her pet him could make him feel trapped.

PastureSongs 06-08-2013 09:02 PM

Please don't rehome him. At his age, it will be a major stress on him. You have to think is it worth it to rehome him at this age?

Muzzling your dog and forcing him to interact with your daughter will make things worse. It will stress him out and scare him even more, and now he'll feel like he can't defend himself. Then one day when the muzzle's off, he'll skip his warning and go straight to bite.

For now, heed his warnings. A growl is communication, the same as you saying "Don't do that, I don't like it" or "You're scaring me, back up." It's the only way dogs have to tell us something is making them uncomfortable.

Have your daughter feed him treats and talk calmly to him but don't force anything on him. If nothing else, in time he should learn that she's okay and he has no reason to be worried. Don't let them be together unsupervised.

deserthorsewoman 06-08-2013 09:16 PM

Have you considered Bach Flower Remedies? The Rescue Remedy did wonders for my dog's fear of fireworks and thunder, and I've seen plenty other animals it has helped with different fears. And fear it is your dog is demonstrating.