The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Tennessee Walker Gelding: How tall? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/tennessee-walker-gelding-how-tall-208714/)

CivilWarCavalry 06-07-2013 02:11 PM

Tennessee Walker Gelding: How tall?

Hello... new here

I'm thinking about buying this Walker gelding. He is four years old and currently is 15hh. Can he grow very much after four? Is it possible that he could get to be 16 hands?

Thanks, sorry can't figure out how to upload pics.

Cowgirls Boots 06-07-2013 02:12 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Horses usually grow til they are 7.
Posted via Mobile Device

FeatheredFeet 06-07-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots (Post 2734738)
Horses usually grow til they are 7.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think you can make a blanket statement such as that, Cowgirls Boots.

Horses come in such a variety of sizes and breeds, how they mature, really depends on that. For example, a Miniature Horse will be much more mature at three, than a Clydesdale or Shire. I think the 'in-between' size horses, usually get their full height at about 3 1/2 or 4. After that they fill out for a year and a fully mature at about 5.

There are of course, horses who have not had a particularly good start in life, who will suddenly shoot up in height much later. And with horses who have received reasonable care, a lot depends on genetics and how slowly or quickly, their parents reach full height or maturity. The best bet is to look at parents and one will have some idea of how tall their offspring will likely be by about 5 or 6, when you would probably not expect further growth.

Lizzie

walkinthewalk 06-07-2013 06:45 PM

Pretty much what FeatheredFeet said.

I bought two of my TWH's as coming 3 year olds.

The 14.3H fella in my avatar had his height by that time.

The 16.1H fella grew until he was around six years.

Along with quality of care while they are still in their formative years, genetics may also enter into how tall the horse will get.

Regarding uploading pics: I'm not sure if you have to make certain number of posts before you can upload??

They can either be uploaded to your album on Horse Forum then copied into your post.

Or loaded into Photobucket or some other on-line service, then click on the "insert image" square icon in the top bar and copy/paste the URL link:-)

You may be able to post pics directly from a Smartphone but I don't have one, so don't know the process:-(

Cowgirls Boots 06-07-2013 07:19 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I was making a more generalized statement. Most regular sized horses tend to fill out and grow until 5/7. An Appaloosa I use to own is still growing at 7. Doesn't mean all are this way but was a very generalized statement. Apologies for that
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 06-07-2013 07:40 PM

quarter horses tend to grow at a slower rate. I think they go height-wise until about 7 years and then width wise until around 10.

I think walking horses finish out a little earlier but I'm not positive. My first walking horse was in his teens when I got him but my mare was about 5 years old, 9 months pregnant and very underweight. It feels like she may have gotten taller since I've had her but I have a feeling she just put on weight and muscled out.

My guess is you might get another inch?

CivilWarCavalry 06-07-2013 08:54 PM

Thanks Cowgirls Boots, FeatheredFeet, walkinthewalk, and farmpony84.

It suppose it depends on the individual horse. I hope he doesn't get much taller. Would like him to stay in the 15 hand range, but who knows what will happen.

Thanks for the reply's.

CivilWarCavalry 06-07-2013 08:57 PM

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...pse5ca4e40.jpg
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...ps02dd0031.jpg

this is him.

Britt 06-07-2013 09:29 PM

Horses generally grow height-wise until about five and width-wise until around seven. :) So yes, the horse can still grow a bit, but prolly won't reach the height you're hoping. Some will grow in height until about seven, though (my gelding did, lol).

bbsmfg3 06-07-2013 09:36 PM

Not uncommon for them to grow until they are 8 or 9. Most of them stop growing between 5 and 7.