The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Stay Warm!! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/stay-warm-20894/)

Moxie 01-15-2009 08:20 AM

Stay Warm!!

I woke up this morning to a brisk -23 on the thermometer! The news says that this morning is the coldest morning in like 6 years. :shock: We're expecting another -25 tonight, but then it's supposed to warm up. Goodness, 0 would feel like a darn heat wave at this point!

Poor Tilly doesnt even want to go outside to potty.

How are you staying warm? I layer, layer, and layer some more, hats, gloves and even have gone as far as zipping up my coat! ha! I never zip my coat. Right now I wish we had a fire place, the mound of blankets on top of me just isnt cutting it. You may be asking, "doesnt your heater work?" Yep, it does, and has been running none stop since Tuesday. But I am a freeze baby, so this weather hits me hard.

Stay warm everyone.

3neighs 01-15-2009 09:44 AM

Well, we're not quite as cold as you are, but it's cold enough! We've been staying in the single digits, only getting below zero at night. The only thing that makes it tolerable is that there is no wind. It actually looks beautiful outside right now with the sun shining and the trees are covered in icy snow.

We have an outdoor wood burner and we do have to fill it three times a day now instead of just two and even though the temp. in the house says 70 degrees I am always freezing! In fact, I have a little space heater aimed at my feet right now. :D My little foo foo dogs can't be out for more than five minutes. Last night one of them picked up his whole hind end and was just walking on his front paws! So now I put those little dogs boots on them when they go out.

I've been going through a lot of chap stick and Corn Huskers Lotion!

farmpony84 01-15-2009 09:49 AM

i have fuzzy pink socks that keep me warm.

Angel_Leaguer 01-15-2009 09:57 AM

In the metro it was -21F but is being so cold it is not allowing the salt to do its job on the rode and causing black ice... but it is suppose to warm up to -5 today!!!!!

I wear layers and when going out to the barn it is the under armour clothing (with other clothes over)... but I still get chilled.

I am not looking forward to getting the gas bill thats for sure!!!!

farmpony84 01-15-2009 10:40 AM

i have carhart that i wear to the barn... ugly orange pants and jacket... warm though.

iridehorses 01-15-2009 10:56 AM

:shock: I can't get my head around those temps!!! I feel like a woose with my temps being in the 30's with a low going to the mid teens tomorrow night.

When son #2 was on a student exchange in Finland quite a few years ago, he had regular temps down to the -60 range.

Moxie 01-15-2009 11:32 AM

Yep, gotta love those pink fuzzy socks, and the carharts!

I went out to take a few pics this morning and I was surprised my battery in the SLR actually worked! They arent suggested for super cold elements. I did get a great pic of a sun dog tho.

Grr I have to go start the car soon.

RusticWildFire 01-15-2009 11:59 AM

It's freezing here. Our campus is right on a canal and the wind funnels right between the buildings. It HURTS! Pretty much every school in the area was canceled except for ours. It has this reputation for never closing and they like to uphold that for whatever reason. It sucks. I'm just waiting for some terrible accident to happen when some poor student is trying to drive in in 3 feet of snow.. It's only -2 right now but the wind chill is WAYYY below that. Thank goodness this cold snap is gonna move out soon! I love winter but 20's would be much appreciated. It would be a heat wave, thats for sure. We haven't had above freezing here in quite some time.

Moxie 01-15-2009 12:08 PM

All the schools and some local businesses have closed for today.

farmpony84 01-15-2009 01:00 PM

put the car in your garage! sheesh...