The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding with gloves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-gloves-20902/)

wanderlust 01-15-2009 12:13 PM

Riding with gloves

I have not ridden with gloves, but I think I should start. It's getting cold, and if I was ever to show I would be wearing a pair.

When you wear gloves do you lose a lot of sensitivity? Do you have a pair you recommend, or a brand, or a certain type? Thanks.

Britt 01-15-2009 12:39 PM

I wear gloves when I ride in the winter, but I have to have gloves that are leather covered else I can't hold the reins correctly. It's about the same as riding without gloves to me... though I don't know what type mine are as they belonged to a friend... I do know that they cost quite a bit, though, and are made out of a half a centimeter thick spandex material with very soft cotton on the inside and are quite warm, lol. I'd guess that any type of glove would work as long as it's got leather or rubber grips to help hold onto the reins correctly.

TwendeHaraka 01-15-2009 01:50 PM

I ride with gloves every time, summer or winter. It really stems from when I started taking jumping lessons when I was younger, I got the worst blisters on one of my fingers. Since then, it's sort of become habit to just wear them.

I reccomend leather gloves, because I've found that they hold up the best. Cotton works best for warmth, I think. Make sure they have reinforced fingers and such-they'll hold up so much longer! If you have a State Line Tack around you, they sell cotton riding gloves for six or seven dollars [here, at least]. :wink:

appylover31803 01-15-2009 07:37 PM

for the summer I have leather gloves but the back of it is crocheted.
For the spring/fall I use, i believe a pair of ariat gloves.

I really don't ride in the winter.

I started wearing gloves after one lessons I had these blisters on my hands. Ever since then I freak out if I dont have my gloves. I feel that I can have a better grip on the reins with my gloves on than without.

mlkarel2010 01-15-2009 08:59 PM

I have cool gloves. Not sure how to explain them. They're crocheted on the inside and then stretchy weird material and then leather in parts where my fingers and places of wear are. They're perfect for riding.

upnover 01-15-2009 11:37 PM

Ugh, I absolutely hate gloves for that very reason! I just feel weird with my hands covered. Fortunately it IS something you can get used to.. But even still I only use them at shows and when it's just too cold. My absolute favorite goves are Roekle's. They're a little pricey (around $50) and made of this rubbery synthetic material. But they're very thin, last forever, and allow much more sensitivity then leather. (i think anyways). Plus you can throw them in the wash and they don't lose their grip if they get wet. Worth every penny!

ohmyitschelle 01-16-2009 12:25 AM

I ride in "track gloves"... I find that you can still "feel" a lot, and are light enough not to make ya hands sweat in summer. I feel like I have more grip on my reins in them, as I do have a wee mare who likes to tug sometimes and blisters aren't fun :P
x

Pinto Pony 01-16-2009 12:06 PM

I always wearing gloves. I love the cotchet backed gloves with leather palms for summer and I have a very nice pair of deer skin gloves with thermal lining for winter. So warm and cosy. You will get used to the feel of the reins with gloves, everytime I ride with the winter gloves it feels weird to start cause they are way chunkier than my summer gloves.
Here is a link to my winter gloves http://www.heritagegloves.com/DeerskinWinter.html I definitely recommend them as comfotable and very warm!!!

horsegirl123 01-16-2009 03:35 PM

I always ride with gloves whether it is winter, spring, summer, or fall! And the good part is that you don't loose much sensitivity if you use gloves that aren't extremely thick. They do keep your hands nice and warm, and you don't get blisters. I use baseball batting gloves because they work just the same and are very similar to regular leather horse riding gloves. The down side with batting gloves is that you can't wear them in shows though. You can also get cotton riding gloves that are very comfy, but thin as well, so they don't really keep your hands warm. If you go with cotton, I recommend you get hand warmers as well. Hope I helped! :)

apachiedragon 01-16-2009 07:57 PM

I LOVE the SSG Aquatack with Thinsulate for riding in the winter. Good grip and warmth without a lot of bulk. They run about $30. I'm sure it gets a little colder in NY than NC though...