The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Need advice about persuaders (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/need-advice-about-persuaders-209266/)

PrincessBarbie 06-08-2013 10:55 AM

Need advice about persuaders

I would like to know if it is wise to use a persuader on a horse.My horse had to have it put on her yesterday because she had to have the hair in her ears trimmed.The persuader is used to make a horse listen from what I was told.I didn't use the persuader because I don't believe in it actually my friend did.What I seen was he took my horse's upper lip and put it in the gap and tightened it.Does anyone on here use anything like that?Is it illegal to do such thing?If so I need to take appropriate measures so that it don't happen again.I am a beginner and I will admit that and my horse is too but she's a gentle filly.What I observed the persuader is not a good item to make a horse listen.Horses can be unpredictable and dangerous and I know that.I need advice so I will know what to do thank you guys so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 06-08-2013 11:14 AM

It sounds like you're talking about a twitch. If it was necessary then yes I would use one. If it were my horse, I would make desensitizing to whatever the problem is a priority so I wouldn't need to. I would rather have a horse that accepted clippers or whatever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 06-08-2013 11:29 AM

Also called a twitch. I might be presuaded to stand still if someone put my lip in one of those things too, but then I would immediately have to kill them when they let go.
Was there a reason she needed the inside of her ears trimmed? Going to a show? That hair is protective from bugs and stuff. I know there are times a twitch is necessary when there is no other option but for something like ear trimming it would be so much better to work with the horse so she will accept clippers. Is she okay with the clippers and doing a bridle path? Is she okay with having her ears handled and rubbed? There are small cordless clippers that are pretty quiet. It may take some time to get her used to this but if you are patient and work at it slowly and not make it a wrestling match she should learn to accept the clippers.
I would work them around the ears, then just the outside of the ear until she is okay then gradually inside. And I would not expect to accomplish this in one session. She is already going to associate this with something unpleasant.
I wish you success. Training always beats this alternative if possible.

tinyliny 06-08-2013 12:44 PM

I agree with Dustbunny.
never trim the ear hair unless absolutely necessary. same goes for muzzle and eye whiskers. they are there for a reason. even fetlock hair (feathers) can help shed water off the leg, instead of having it pool in the pastern. But it they are in mud all the time, then trimming the feathers might be smarter.

Is anyone helping you with these things? trimming and such? I wonder about a green person using a twitch.

hickly 06-08-2013 01:14 PM

Like everyone else said, that's a twitch you're talking about. I agree with tinyliny and Dustbunny. I probably wouldn't use a twitch... Since you don't know too much about it. A twitch is a temporary fix. If you want to fix the real problem desensitize your horse. Unless it's something that really has to be done.

AlexS 06-08-2013 04:31 PM

I do find it hilarious when things that have been around for years are given new more acceptable names.

Glynnis 06-08-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 2743706)
I do find it hilarious when things that have been around for years are given new more acceptable names.

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing! I was going "persuader? what the heck is that?!"

Your horse, since I presume she is young, is probably not going to naturally like clippers... I have yet to meet a horse that didn't flinch or move around the first time clippers were used. I would stay away from the twitch and just be patient in getting her used to clippers. If she associates something negative like a twitch with clipping, you can bet she won't want to be clipped in the future and it will only get harder as she gets bigger and older.

What I would do is take it slow. Turn them on and hold them, and maybe do something pleasant like brushing or petting. Get her used to the idea that clippers do not = death, but rather that good things happen when clippers are around. I am not a trainer, but that is what I did with my mare when first trimming her bridle path. It took 3 or 4 separate occasions of just holding them and moving them around her head and ears for her to realize that they weren't going to eat her alive. I also kept the sessions very short. I would turn them on for maybe 5 - 10 minutes while brushing her and then turn them off once she had stood still for a minute or two, making sure to end on the good note. As I said before, I'm not a trainer so maybe I did it the slow way or incorrectly, but for me, taking it slow and having endless patience was what worked. I myself am a very impatient person, so I know how hard it can be, but I always ask myself "what is the rush?" and then I kind of realize, there isn't one and forcing things aren't going make anything better.

Good luck with the evil clippers of doom! :-)

PrincessBarbie 06-09-2013 12:34 PM

I didn't use the twitch my friend did.He calls it the persuader.Thank you for using the appropriate name.She is a good horse she just doesn't know what is going on.She learns something new every time I am patient with her and she knows I take care of her.I just hope she doesn't think the twitch is a bad experience it was used to teach her what she was doing was bad.I love horses but I don't want to get throwed again ever.Thanks for the advice I will take it to heart.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 06-09-2013 12:50 PM

Barbie...doesn't matter who used the twitch, it is still not a good experience nor did it probably teach her anything. If you and your friend take your time and are patient in using the clippers, she will learn that it is nothing to fear and fight.
If I remember from your earlier posts this is a fairly immature TWH filly. You and your horse will both benefit from taking things slow. She is young and the less trauma the better. Also, sometimes it is difficult when another person is involved in handling horses especially if they aren't patient and the horse is young and fights.
Good luck to you.

Saranda 06-09-2013 01:21 PM

Natural horsemanship is basically about letting a horse understand, what's going on, going in sync with the horses' body language, psychology, all those things... A twitch does none of them, it's just brute, physical submission.