The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Flash or No Flash? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/flash-no-flash-20938/)

whitetrashwarmblood 01-15-2009 09:46 PM

Flash or No Flash?

Besides keeping the horses mouth shut, is there any other reason for it?
I don't use one, but why should someone use one in the first place?

Miss Katie 01-15-2009 09:53 PM

Keeps the mouth shut and gives a little extra control. They are good for strong horses, horses tha manage to get tongues over the bit no matter how well the bridle is fitted, or pullers. You see them a lot on cross country courses.

StormyBlues 01-15-2009 10:25 PM

actually, you see them more in the dressage rings at events to help control the horse in there. they just help with control

dressagegal 01-16-2009 03:03 PM

It also makes it easier to get the contact from your horse.
[Bring its head in]

JustDressageIt 01-16-2009 06:04 PM

I absolutely hate flash nosebands. They keep the mouth closed... and if your horse is avoiding the bit or opening his mouth, then perhaps you should look at reasons as to WHY he's doing that, rather than just strapping his jaw shut.

Having said that, I just bought a figure-8 bridle, which does that and also prevents crossing of the jaw... however I did not buy it for those reasons. I bought it because Denny looks darn good in one... that's it. The straps are fairly loose.

My biggest pet peeve is seeing flash nosebands that are too tight. They can impair breathing ability.

The other day I actually saw a Dressage book with a horse in a double bridle and a flash done up too tight - I about had a fit!

Gah.

Rant over.

montezuma 01-16-2009 06:04 PM

I feel there isnt really any need or place for a flash. Flash's can just mask a problem eg. dental or physio. Why people think strapping mouths shut helps I do not know but a well schooled horse is one that is supple and relaxed. Surely it cannot be relaxed with its mouth strapped up?

There are many bits out there nowadays such as correction bits that have ideal mouth pieces for horses that struggle with normal ones. I would say a lot of the time it is the mouth piece itself as some of these breeds with fatter tongues really cannot cope with a lot of metal in their mouths.

montezuma 01-16-2009 06:06 PM

cross posted justdressageit!

Im from the UK and you dont really see many horses over here with both double bridles and a flash. I have a feeling it is illegal in the dressage world or just not done very often?

whitetrashwarmblood 01-16-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 231769)
They keep the mouth closed... and if your horse is avoiding the bit or opening his mouth, then perhaps you should look at reasons as to WHY he's doing that, rather than just strapping his jaw shut.

That's what I've always thought. :?
Kinda like just covering up a problem, instead of taking extra time to fix it or perfect it.

JustDressageIt 01-16-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montezuma (Post 231775)
cross posted justdressageit!

Im from the UK and you dont really see many horses over here with both double bridles and a flash. I have a feeling it is illegal in the dressage world or just not done very often?

Actually over here in the States and Canada, it's very fashionable to have a flash... beats me as to why!! I HATE them with a passion.

(once again, I use a figure-8 on Denny... 100% for aesthetics only... :oops: hehe)

whitetrashwarmblood 01-16-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 231833)
Actually over here in the States and Canada, it's very fashionable to have a flash... beats me as to why!! I HATE them with a passion.

I know! I keep seeing riders on the covers of Dover and other catalogs/magazines with horses wearing them, and I just don't get it. In my area it's frowned upon.