The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Anybody doing WP with an American Saddlebred? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/anybody-doing-wp-american-saddlebred-209594/)

MyBrandy 06-08-2013 10:38 PM

Anybody doing WP with an American Saddlebred?

Hi just wondering - anybody doing WP discipline with their ASB? I am thinking in starting my ASB gelding in that.. What tack do you use? (does anything need to be specific type of tack for the ASB to get the job done well?). What about training? What is your routine for for training your ASB in this discipline?? Thank you.

Palomine 06-09-2013 10:21 PM

Western pleasure Saddlebreds - Bing Videos

Headset is going to be typical Saddlebred, not the low/long, and the videos am linking you to, or can search for Western Pleasure Saddlebred if link doesn't work, will give you an idea of what is being shown and winning.

Western pleasure Saddlebreds - Bing Videos

Western tack is same as worn in QH classes.

Horse would be best sent to a Saddlebred trainer though that shows this division, and you take lessons.

MyBrandy 06-09-2013 10:35 PM

Thanks for the video links! I always looked on youtube.. did not find much on this theme... I really like how saddlebreds move in slow-motion in the WP discipline.. I am do not really like that really low headset in in the WP canter on QHs.. to me it looks very un-natural.. Saddlebreds seem to look real nice doing the slow WP lope.. :)

GotaDunQH 06-10-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBrandy (Post 2754770)
Thanks for the video links! I always looked on youtube.. did not find much on this theme... I really like how saddlebreds move in slow-motion in the WP discipline.. I am do not really like that really low headset in in the WP canter on QHs.. to me it looks very un-natural.. Saddlebreds seem to look real nice doing the slow WP lope.. :)

Both ARE natural due to the different conformation characteristics of the ASB and the QH.

MyBrandy 06-10-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotaDunQH (Post 2757593)
Both ARE natural due to the different conformation characteristics of the ASB and the QH.

=== right correct, I understand it completely why.. I just don't like the way it looks when QHs do the WP lope - that is just my personal opinion.. it sure is very comfortable to ride that way, to me the horses just look like they are injured. :(

Inga 06-12-2013 06:58 PM

I know we all have our own oppinions on what looks good and what doesn't. To me, Saddlebreds are the most beautiful of all western pleasure horses. I also find them to be the most fun to ride. I just think they look so elegant and comfortable without looking lazy or board.

MyBrandy 06-12-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 2783562)
I know we all have our own oppinions on what looks good and what doesn't. To me, Saddlebreds are the most beautiful of all western pleasure horses. I also find them to be the most fun to ride. I just think they look so elegant and comfortable without looking lazy or board.

** YES they very fun to ride - they are always ready to go and want to please, they always want to play in the pasture too :) I am finally getting my ASHA gelding to work of his hind end and getting bridled up and I'll tell ya - I love all his gaits..so smooth!! My favorite is his lope and then slow jog.. like a rocking horse :) **