The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Keeping a donkey in the winter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/keeping-donkey-winter-20960/)

Lucara 01-16-2009 01:35 PM

Keeping a donkey in the winter?

So I've been reading up on donkey care and apparently most of them hate being stalled up but hate the snow as well. How would I go about making one happy?
I'm not really overly worried about it since we wont be moving for a good 5 years at least and Florida doesn't get much snow :lol:. Its something to keep in mind though!

Angel_Leaguer 01-16-2009 02:43 PM

So are you looking into getting a donkey over a horse now??? Maybe look into getting a mule?

I know people around here have donkeys outside and there is snow. Maybe it has something to do with getting them used to the weather... but I really couldnt tell ya for sure

PalominoStarsky 01-16-2009 02:46 PM

When we brought Starsky home, we left my donkey in the pasture while he was in the barn. She called for him all night long, so the next night, my husband and I decided to see if she would like to stay in the stall at night across from him. She loves it! We just open the gate from the pasture and we don't even need to lead her in, she walks straight in. But we have her spoiled like crazy, she gets grain and hay, so she knows that stall=food.

PalominoStarsky 01-16-2009 02:48 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it snows here once every 5-10 years, so don't know about the snow situation. Although it snowed in December, and she actually preferred to stay out there in it. She was very curious of it.

appylover31803 01-16-2009 03:01 PM

My BO has 2 mini donks. They have a run in stall/barn. Most times they will be inside, but they do on occasion come outside, walk around and then go back in.

I think it depends on each donkey what they like and don't like.

Cat 01-16-2009 03:59 PM

My donkey is suppose to be from mammoth stock but is only a large standard size of 13 hands. He hates being stalled and will chew the barn down! My stalls will never be the same after he was in them. LOL. In the winter he is outside with the horses and a run-in shed. The big thing is to have a dry place they can go to get out of the wind. They hate wind in their long ears.

When we do get snow it doesn't seem to bug him. He HATES mud but deals with it when we have wet weather. Its just funny because the horses will cut straight through but he will go around the long way to avoid as much mud as possible.

Dumas'_Grrrl 01-17-2009 11:22 AM

From my understanding, the thing with donkeys and snow/cold wet weather, is that their hair doesn't shed water as well as a horse's does, so they get wet to the core. That's when they can get a chill and get too cold. So donkeys can handle the weather but need a dry place to hide out.

*disclaimer* I've never owned a donkey, this is just what a friend told me that has donkeys.

NorthernMama 01-18-2009 12:57 AM

We had a donkey when I was a teen. He lived outside all the time and looked like a shaggy dog in the winter! They don't like to be wet though for sure. He used to go under the trees or into the run-in when it drizzled, rained or snowed. If he has shelter he can get to, he should be fine. BTW, winters here go to about -40. The odd day will be colder.

Lucara 01-18-2009 04:32 PM

I'm assuming that bath time with these guys is quite a challenge? =/