The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I don't understand some owners! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-dont-understand-some-owners-209754/)

Windmill john 06-09-2013 07:12 AM

I don't understand some owners!

Hi, my first post.
I love animals, but not into horses like my obsessed wife:wink:
Anyway, the point of my post.
My wife volunteers two days a week at a horse sanctuary. She has also just completed three short horse owners courses.
She also rides and continues with lessons.

Oops, the reason!

I hate seeing my wife upset and sometimes in tears.

Please explain to me, if you dare, what gives some of you the right to think you can get rid of a horse because you no longer attend events, outgrown, changed your mind etc !!!

What makes you think it is any different to a cat or dog!

Don't quote costs to me, because you could afford it when it was right for you.

I personally think it is disgusting that some of you hold so little regard for an animal you claim to love!

There are some beautiful horses at the sanctuary, just there because of what appears to be silly reasons.

I'd be interested to hear how you can defend yourselves.

Apologies to the people who keep their horses.

TBforever 06-09-2013 08:07 AM

hmm is this aimed towards this site? this may belong on horse chat

Jake and Dai 06-09-2013 08:35 AM

Hi Windmill john...welcome to the forum.

I think you've got the wrong site to get answers to your questions. This is a forum full of people who love horses and come here to talk, learn and enjoy.

I suspect there are people on here who can guess at answers to your questions. But we all strive to do the best we can for these magnificent creatures that we own, love and ride.

I encourage you, and your wife, to participate and learn what a great community of horse lovers we are. So you can see that there are a great many who are NOT like what you are describing.

walkinthewalk 06-09-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windmill john (Post 2747874)
Hi, my first post.
I love animals, but not into horses like my obsessed wife:wink:
Anyway, the point of my post.
My wife volunteers two days a week at a horse sanctuary. She has also just completed three short horse owners courses.
She also rides and continues with lessons.

Oops, the reason!

I hate seeing my wife upset and sometimes in tears.

Please explain to me, if you dare, what gives some of you the right to think you can get rid of a horse because you no longer attend events, outgrown, changed your mind etc !!!

What makes you think it is any different to a cat or dog!

Don't quote costs to me, because you could afford it when it was right for you.

I personally think it is disgusting that some of you hold so little regard for an animal you claim to love!

There are some beautiful horses at the sanctuary, just there because of what appears to be silly reasons.

I'd be interested to hear how you can defend yourselves.

Apologies to the people who keep their horses.

I hope ^^^^^ is not intended to be a "one size fits all" comment. If it is, Kind Sir, you have just unleashed a bigger Pandora's Box on yourself than you could ever imagine your wife is capable of:D

Just like all the "good" reasons for getting a divorce (usually presented by the man who was the perpetrator to begin with), there are, many sad times, good reasons for having to part company with a horse.

"many sad times" being the operative here. As to WHY?

1. First and foremost there ARE people in this world that don't have the Good Sense God Gave A Goose. They shouldn't be allowed to buy a stuffed horse off the WalMart shelf much less be responsible for a real horse.

2. There are folks who, yes, DID have the money when they bought the horse and had all good intentions of giving that horse a home for many happy years.

2.1 S**t Happens. They do what? End up in a divorce, lose their job, go off to college and the non-horse parents, say "we ain't keepin' this horse so you'd better find someplace for it to go. And on and on and on.

For my part, we farmed with horses, my granddad raised/trained Welsh-Morgans, I have bought and paid for my own horses since I was 12 years old.

Took my first to Keeper Horses to ages 27 & 29 --- clear back in the early 80's. My current four are with me to their end times; they range from 17 to 27 years.

You had better be as old as I am (66), as I will really enjoy going toe-to-toe with you on this very delicate subject. If you aren't even close to my age, you haven't lived long enough to have the Street Smarts to logically analyze the Whys to some very sad situations.

As with all Venues, there are the One Percenters -- those stupid people that when given common sense, never did and still don't know what in Thee SamHill to do with it.

PLEASE don't glump this entire forum into that teeny little box.

If you want a friendly discussion, great - bring it on but please ask your questions in a more friendly manner.

My 66 year old self just helped put up 330 bales of hay yesterday, so those four horses out roaming 22 acres would be sure to have plenty to eat this winter. That means I am cranky this AM, took serious offense to your line of approach, and don't get me started -----------SIR!!!!

That little "oh by the way" disclaimer at the bottom of your comment?
Quote:

Apologies to the people who keep their horses

Doesn't cut it.

Palomine 06-09-2013 08:56 AM

It is easy to look at any animal in a shelter and say "I would NEVER EVER do that". But reality oftentimes says different.

When a marriage breaks up, and the family that had land/barn/water is now, due to divorce or abandonment is having to move into a different home, one that is not only capable of sustaining a horse in sheer logistics, but one that also states quite clearly NO PETS, as 99% of them do in this area? Exactly WHAT DO YOU THINK THOSE PEOPLE CAN DO????

Or when an owner dies suddenly, there are their animals with no one to care for them. And don't tell me that "you can make provisions for the animals before you die" as too often, the "loving friends/family" dump the animals the minute you are in the ground AND keep your money. See it happen all too often.

You both lose job, or lose hours which is going to happen more and more thanks to idiot in DC, and there is just flat out NO MONEY to feed you and family, much less horses.

Life happens.

Are there owners that don't give a rat's ass about their horses? Yes.

But there are also owners like me that just put down my 20+ year old grade Paint, who was crippled. I've had him since 99/00 and planned on keeping him forever, but he was in pain, so I did what I had planned to do, and PTS.

I have my riding horse who is 19. He too will live out his years with me, but if the day comes when I cannot afford him, I will have him PTS too, so that I know what happens to him. Same with Baby Huey who is only 7.

And if people would quit breeding worthless horses because they are too stupid to geld, too ignorant to realize they can't afford horses period since they are on food stamps and every other program Jesus sends, there might not be as many in the rescues.

And let's don't fail to mention that rescues too are guilty of breeding "rescue" horses. Along with the rescues that devote thousands of dollars to "saving" a horse that should be PTS, instead of taking that money and helping the horses that could be useful to someone.

But wrong attitude to take with us. You know nothing about us, nor what we do or don't do with horses.

Like Walkinthewalk, I am close to 60 and have been working with horses almost my entire life, and I have a very good idea how life can go wrong in a heartbeat, as well as a good grasp on why so many horses end up in trouble.

And part of that is the BSS/Flicka folks, who want to "love my horsey into being trained" and in the "loving", create a monster that is dangerous.

Speed Racer 06-09-2013 08:57 AM

Walkin said it so very eloquently.

What I don't understand is why you came here deliberately looking for a fight, and insulting people right out of the starting gate. If you're as closed minded to peoples' reasons as you appear to be, nothing anyone can say will change your already set in stone opinions.

Why are you trying to make it all about you and your wife? Neither of you are important in the scheme of things when it comes to what other people do, don't do, or are forced to do with their horses when life throws them curve balls.

Do you own horses? If not, then you have no idea of the expense, land requirements or time needed to care for such large livestock animals. They aren't anything like dogs or cats, and only those who have never owned them would try to compare them to a small housepet.

TBforever 06-09-2013 08:58 AM

well for me if i outgrown a horse i would sell it, it may make another young persons dream come true, some horses dont do well with having being worked to then just dumped in pasture.

this doesnt mean owners love this horse any less, they feel it is best for the horse to be in work, for the sake of the horses well being,

and money sometime doesnt allow us to keep 2 horses

if you cant affored to keep 2 horses that in itself isnt fair for the horse that isnt being worked.

if horses were not sold, there wouldnt be many riders..little kids wont have horses to ride, people would have heaps of unused horses in paddocks starving hungry as they cant affored 2 horses but yet to big for most of them,

that is reality, people have got horses now because people have sold them

Cherie 06-09-2013 09:10 AM

Well, I doubt I can convince you otherwise, but many horse enthusiasts are not adopting horses like they are children; they own them as the livestock that they are. We all love horses, spend hours and hours trying to make them comfortable and happy, spend thousands of dollars on a horse worth hundreds at best and cry when we lose one. BUT, we own them, which means we can sell them or give them away or put them down when we feel we must.

Personally, I have several horses that I will continue to feed even though they are retired from use, but they are 'special' to me. If my financial circumstances change, they will have to go because my family's well-being will have to come first.

Horses often times live well into their 30s. People take on a commitment 25 years before the horse is going to die of old age. Many things happen to change circumstances during that next 25 years so that many horses have to go.

Many people own horses for a 'use', much like they own a truck. Many horses make peoples' livings for them. But, they are still livestock. You would not expect a rancher to keep all of his cows that are past the age of being productive or useful. Each and every rancher that did this would go bankrupt. People in the horse business have the same property rights that a cattle rancher has. When a horse is no longer productive or useful, it has to be sold. The 'salvage value' of that animal helps keeps the person in business and help to feed the other animals he owns.

All of this feeds into the 'slaughter debate'. It all is part of what gives a horse 'value' and 'worth. The more valuable a horse is, the more money people are willing to spend on it to keep it healthy and in good condition -- even if it is not 'useful'. The fact that so many 'low end' horses have lost much of their value is one of the main reasons that there is so much neglect, starvation and abandonment of horses. We, who have been in the 'horse business' for many years have never seen so much starvation and neglect. We all think that an active slaughter market keeps up the level of care for all of the lower end horses. There is a much worse end for a horse's life than a well-run slaughter house.

Most ranchers and owners of multiple horses are usually 'practical' people. We know the reality that not all horse are 'useful', and those that aren't useful have to go off of the feed bill. Money cannot be spent on them forever if we want to keep the level of care up for the ones we need and use.

You can criticize all you want, but you cannot change the reality of economics, peoples' changing circumstances like getting old or sick or dying or losing a job or ???? You cannot force people to spend money they do not have (or for that matter 'want') to spend for horse care when they cannot afford it.

When the economy is good and there is full employment, there is a great demand for horses. Marginal horses can be sold to good homes because really great horses or fully trained horses are so high priced that many people cannot afford them. Like all other values, horse values are set by supply and demand. When there is a huge drop in the economy like there was in 2008, demand drops and the supply increases. Thousands of horses were caught in this cycle. Many people could no longer afford horses that were far from the end of that 30 year lifespan but they had to go. It is just the way it is. You and your wife have to accept this or drive yourself nuts obsessing over things you cannot change.

By the way, welcome to the Horse Forum. We really are not big, mean horse killers and even though we have mostly become far more practical than we once were or than owners of a single horse are, we still have the best interest of horses at heart.

Tracer 06-09-2013 09:13 AM

I can think of a few reasons why people would 'get rid of horses', without deserving condemnation.

- Money troubles. Hospital bills, family issues, school fees... There are so many reasons why people might suddenly lack to money to keep a horse. And personally, those who decide to sell it for these reasons have my respect - it's a tough decision, but a better option than having an unhealthy and unhappy horse.

- Incompatibility. This one does come at fault to the owners in some cases, but I think it still qualifies. When someone buys a horse that is simply too much for them to handle. Keeping the horse would only result in misery for all involved.

- 'Outgrowing'. If you own a pokey little pony who is simply amazing but you can't ride it, why not sell it to someone with a child who will treasure it?

- Life circumstances. People change. They grow up, move away and (unthinkably to many of us here!) outgrow their love of horses.

If people never sold horses, the sanctuaries and rescues would still have just as many if not more horses in their care than they already do.

Now, if you're talking about people who breed horses as a money making venture, then you have my complete agreement.

Iseul 06-09-2013 09:19 AM

Alright, I'll go ahead and be one person to prove your point about selling a horse as soon as I have no need for it.
Horses are livestock, by definition. Horses are only pets if you choose to make it out of them. I love my mare and gelding and would keep them until they died if it were feasible..They're both only 6 and 7, I'm 19..How is someone with a $10/hr job that has funky hours suppose to keep two trail horses that will never be rodeo winners, and then a horse or two that DO have the potential to place in rodeo (what I want to do)? Was I bad for saving a starved mare and adopting a gelding that just wanted attention that he never got instead of just buying that rodeo horse first? No way am I wrong for that. I wholeheartedly feel that my mare would've been shot by now if I hadn't taken her, and the gelding probably would've been sent to auction because BO didn't seem to be finding a home with anyone else.

Point being..I did not take either of these horses with intent to have them die with me, and that isn't wrong. A horse is a much bigger investment than a pet, and a horse is not the same thing. Though I will say, if I can help it, my mare will stay with me until she dies she she can teach my child to ride..not because she's a pet, but because she's my partner.
Nothing wrong with selling a horse if it doesn't suit your needs, you can't afford it, etc. Maybe you got the horse advertised as deadbroke and safe for anyone, it turned out not to be so you dumped 3mo training into it and it was still insane? You either sell it or shoot it. No livestock or pet is worth a human life, period the end.
Posted via Mobile Device