The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Posture Help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/posture-help-209762/)

Beckyinva 06-09-2013 07:28 AM

Posture Help

Ive been riding about 7 years. I lean forward too much. Although my posture has improved a lot, I still have an issue. The worst is that I do it unconsciensly. I dont even realize I'm doing it. My hubby video taped me and I was surprised. I need help. Any suggestions?

Saddlebag 06-09-2013 08:20 AM

Unless you are riding dressage one does lean forward at the trot and canter.

Palomine 06-09-2013 08:33 AM

Drop your heels. And do not do it by moving legs forwards.

Merely push down through the back of the leg, so that you feel the pull on back of calve, and thigh and hip.

That will bring you into better position. And when you glance down, you should see just the tip of your boot as you look down at knee.

Farmchic 06-09-2013 09:14 AM

Are your stirrups long enough?

Beckyinva 06-09-2013 09:27 AM

Thanks, that will be a good reference point.

Merely push down through the back of the leg, so that you feel the pull on back of calve, and thigh and hip.

That will bring you into better position. And when you glance down, you should see just the tip of your boot as you look down at knee.[/QUOTE]

Beckyinva 06-09-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmchic (Post 2748322)
Are your stirrups long enough?

I don't know why this would make a difference, but I am definitely going to try this! Thanks!

Farmchic 06-09-2013 09:47 AM

LOL I don't know that it will but I'm thinking of myself and if my stirrups are two short even a bit I tend to be off balance and lean forward.

Just try to relax and think about how your sitting and why you are sitting that way.

bsms 06-09-2013 09:52 AM

A picture would help. Do you ride English or western? Personally, if I push to lower my heel, it stiffens my leg and makes me bounce more.

Lower heels will not prevent you from leaning forward. I tend to lean forward a lot - it is my preference in riding - and a lower heel doesn't prevent me from doing so. Lots of folks ride in a forward seat with very low heels...my heels are 55, so they don't bend the way some people's do!

If you want to be more upright in the saddle, you will probably have to force yourself. It will feel like you are leaning back, but a picture would show you are not. In a western saddle, I've ended up holding the horn and feeling like I'm lounging back while trotting, only to have pictures show I was upright at the time. When you sit more upright, you will also need more movement in your lower back to move with the horse.

tinyliny 06-09-2013 10:25 AM

if you've been video d, would you be willing to post it here for critique?

Beckyinva 06-09-2013 10:59 AM

I will try and post a video this evening.