The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   TN Walkers (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/tn-walkers-21027/)

Joshie 01-18-2009 12:49 AM

TN Walkers

So, tell me about the personalities of Walkers. There's a local breeder getting out of the business who is giving away her remaining horses. We can't take on another horse right now but wonder about the personality of these horses. I love the personality of a nice, calm QH or paint but would like a smooth ride.

Lori1983 01-18-2009 01:03 AM

I just got a Walker. She's 2 1/2 years old, and I have to say, I am really impressed with how gentle she is...especially for her age. I actually forget how young she is. On the other hand, where I keep her, there is a quarter horse who is 20 years old with lots of riding experience who is an absolute pill. :) I don't know if this is so much breed-specific or because of the fact that the quarter horse hasn't been worked with in a long time. But just my 2 cents, they're extremely gentle and polite for the most part. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule.

Kianne 01-18-2009 01:09 AM

The place where I ride has a lot of TWH's, and all the ones I've met i've liked. So far they are all very nice and willing. They are all individuals, but over all I think their a great breed. :D

minihorse927 01-18-2009 06:51 PM

Tennesee walkers tend to be more laid back and I have met very few I would label as hot headed. They tend to be quiet and more of the I don't care what we do today kind of horse, but they are willing to do just about anything you can teach one to do.

mlkarel2010 01-20-2009 10:36 PM

I've been around some walkers. They seem like teddy bears to me. I'm getting two of my own and I'll let you know how they are

mygirl1197 01-22-2009 06:16 PM

There nickname is "the gentlemen of the horseworld"

g8ted4me 01-23-2009 10:59 AM

I think walkers are nice- nice gait and nice personality, but with all breeds- horses are individuals. :-)

Curly_Horse_CMT 01-23-2009 11:38 AM

They are a great breed. Very versitile with great temperments. They tend to sometimes be hotter, but they are controlable. It depends on what kinds of bloodlines you get sometimes too, and what they were bred for. I love their energy, and if you look hard enough you will find one with a gait that you will never want to get out of. lol

Britt 01-23-2009 11:44 AM

Walkers are awesome. I have two of my own, even though they're nongaited, they're still as smooth as can be and they both are so willing to try their hearts out for anything I ask of them. My colt is so eager and willing to learn too... though once you let them get into a habit of something, it can be close to impossible to get them out of said habit.
They have an extremely nice disposition and are extremely good with children, though they can get annoyed rather quickly with repetition.

sandy2u1 01-23-2009 11:52 PM

I have a TWH and he is really a sweet heart. hes a bit of a nervous horse...a little jumpy. hes very smart though and everything you ask him to do he tries really hard to figure out what you want and do it.