The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Parents being unfair! (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/parents-being-unfair-210378/)

HarleyWood 06-10-2013 01:56 AM

Parents being unfair!

I will be 19 soon and my BF wants me to go down and see him where he is stationed because in August he comes back for a few weeks and leaves the country for 2 years and I will see him maybe every 6 months. im going to college in the fall and I live with my parents until then because im living in the dorms. they don't want me to go down for the fourth and my mom has told me that she trusts me more then my older siblings. ive never drank or smoked im home a lot I take care of my horses and dogs everyday and planning on getting a part time job once school starts, next to my school. I really want to see him and would be buying my own ticket to go down. they seemed fine until I said he was buying the hotel room because I was buying my ticket to go down. I don't see their problem I really want to see him and we've been dating over a months but ive known him for 4 years. I trust him and he wouldn't push me to do anything I didn't want to do and I don't want to do anything..

I was going to see him and we were going to shop, trails, lakes, and amusment parks, and just hang out with his friends. hes in the military btw.
any advice to help convince them to let me go? my sister is trying to help she doesn't see a problem with it.

Muppetgirl 06-10-2013 01:59 AM

You're nearly 19 years old.....I think your folks need to let you live a little....I don't know, I left home at 16 and did what I wanted, so maybe it seems a little 'claustrophobic' to me? Does it not?

xlionesss 06-10-2013 02:02 AM

As much as I understand your frustration, it ultimately comes down to this- you live in their house so they make the rules. It seems unfair, but they're just being protective, as any parent should!

Copperhead 06-10-2013 02:02 AM

Their problem is that you're their teenage daughter and there's a boy buying you a hotel room.

They're being parents, they're not being unfair.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 06-10-2013 09:25 AM

well if your still lettign them pay all your living expenses it's there rules. At 19 you are free to do what you want, however the gravy train might stop..

waresbear 06-10-2013 09:54 AM

Joe is bang on with that answer. Can't "like" it, on iPod.
Posted via Mobile Device

HarleyWood 06-10-2013 03:21 PM

i pay for my car, phone, horse stuff, anything I want, and everything for my car and phone. I will be paying for college.

Speed Racer 06-10-2013 03:25 PM

Am I missing something? You didn't say they're forbidding you to go, they're just not happy with it. At 19 you're past the age of majority. If you want to go, then go. Just remember that for every action, there will be a reaction.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-10-2013 03:43 PM

As long as you're putting your head on their pillows and your feet under their table, it's their rules in the house. If they aren't "happy" about you going down there to see him, then you shouldn't. Sorry!

AlexS 06-10-2013 04:17 PM

I don't really care if you are 18 or 25, if you live in their house, you should follow their rules, or move out.
All you can do is talk to them about it.