The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My horse won't stand still HELP (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-wont-stand-still-help-210489/)

Emilybee 06-10-2013 12:28 PM

My horse won't stand still HELP

Hi, I have a 5 year old horse. She is amazing when I lead her but terrible when I try to get on her. I am training her up so I can eventually start competing with her but this is hard when she wont let me get on her. :-| When she see's me put on my riding hat she immediately clicks what I am going to do. I then go to her side but she backs up, moves her bum out the way so we are facing eachother again or moves forward with extreme force. She has been abused so I don't want to scare her whilst trying to train her. Can anyone help? Thanks :-)

GamingGrrl 06-10-2013 12:30 PM

It sounds like there could be a pain issue that's making her want to avoid work. How's her saddle fit? When were her teeth last done?
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 06-10-2013 12:41 PM

Rule out physical pain, as GG said. Once you do that, if there are no issues, this is usually pretty simple to fix.

Walk up to her like you're about to mount. Use your hands on the reins to make her move forward, back, and side to side. Ask her to stand. When you do try to mount, if she moves, make her work. I've found the side to side to be most helpful with a horse that tries to back away or bolt forward. Be consistent. Every time she takes so much as a step, make her work. Stay calm, and be patient. If you get nervous or frustrated, it will be counterproductive.

The most stubborn horse I've worked with on this problem took three sessions and now stands calmly every time.

Another thing to consider is what you do once you're on. I make all my horses stand still until I ask them to move off. One mare, I'll stand there for three or four minutes before I ask her to move. She is so much better, though, that I don't have to do that as often.

JennyHavoc 06-10-2013 06:48 PM

I had a similar problem, except mine would do it when I picked up the saddle.

I did basically what aforred suggested; if he moved any more than just a weight shift, I'd lead him in tight circles and make him back up. After 3 or 4 sessions, he stood still. I guess he decided taking the saddle was preferable to working!

Palomine 06-10-2013 10:31 PM

Forget the abused horse bit, and also lose the fear of scaring her too.

She is doing this because you are not making her stop it.

I don't think moving/working one is productive when the whole point is to get horse to stand in one place.

You need to make horse come up to where you want to mount, if she moves tell her to stop it, and tell her to be still. Keep offside rein slightly tighter, so if she does move it will be under you.

And make sure you are not gouging her with your toe when you go up in stirrup, or hanging too long and not getting into saddle. And when up? STAND STILL. Don't just move right off.

Also when leading you need to just stop and make her stand still every so often, as that teaches horse it is YOUR decision to move...or not.

Teaching horse a "be still" command or something like that works wonders. I've also used "keep those feet still" or "PLANT 'EM!".

I guarantee you in herd, your horse would not keep moving around if the leader decided it should stay still.