The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Feedback on jog and lope position (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/feedback-jog-lope-position-210497/)

horselessmom 06-10-2013 11:35 AM

Feedback on jog and lope position

My daughter is taking lessons at a new place, where they focus more on steering, rather than her position (for now? The other place was all about position, and no steering). Could you give her some pointers so that she could pick an element to focus on each lesson? Thanks! :D

She's 11, and after about 1.5 years of English, she just switched to riding Western 3 months ago. She was able to get this horse to canter only in the last 3 lessons.

GotaDunQH 06-10-2013 12:43 PM

Is there a reason the instructor is having her post the trot?? Western, at the jog you sit the jog. Just curious if she was having her work on something.

As for the lope, your daughter is behind the motion (and actually sending the horse forward with her seat). Her back is leaning back where her upper body and her shoulders need to be inline with her hip.

Your daughter is cute and love the horse she's riding.

tinyliny 06-10-2013 12:49 PM

I agree with Gottadun.

but, my first thought is "she's a natural!" she has been getting good instruction, and has the makings of an excellent seat. She is leaning too far back, but her legs are so steady, and she' moving with the horse so nicely.

She really should do Dressage!

smrobs 06-10-2013 02:56 PM

I also agree with GotaDun. Her biggest problem is that she's leaning back. Her shoulders should be directly above her hips. She does appear to have a solid seat and legs, though, and her hands appear to be relatively soft.

horselessmom 06-10-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotaDunQH (Post 2758585)
Is there a reason the instructor is having her post the trot?? Western, at the jog you sit the jog. Just curious if she was having her work on something.

As for the lope, your daughter is behind the motion (and actually sending the horse forward with her seat). Her back is leaning back where her upper body and her shoulders need to be inline with her hip.

Your daughter is cute and love the horse she's riding.

Thanks! I'm not sure why, but all her trotting is posting. I assumed this is what is done in the early stages. Sometimes she's asked to sit the trot for a couple of steps, but that's it. Is it easier to learn to steer while posting? This horse doesn't stay on track unless my daughter steers, so all her focus was on learning to steer.

Should she focus on not leaning back, or is it something that will come with a bit more practice?

horselessmom 06-10-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2758713)
I agree with Gottadun.

but, my first thought is "she's a natural!" she has been getting good instruction, and has the makings of an excellent seat. She is leaning too far back, but her legs are so steady, and she' moving with the horse so nicely.

She really should do Dressage!

Thanks! She wasn't taught to sit the canter at all. In her old barn she only did two point for the entire year. This trainer said nothing except to just sit the canter, and this is just how she did it. Come to think about it, she was told to lean back while cantering without stirrups on the lunge line--she spent about 20 minutes on this spread out over her lessons in the old barn.

Should I just tell her not to lean back, or is there something else to adjust which will indirectly help her not to lean back?

farmpony84 06-10-2013 08:46 PM

I don't see anything wrong with them teaching her to post a trot, although I agree with GotaDun about the jog and the body position.. I think she is on the road to being a terrific little rider. She is leaned back a bit but I think her hands are great and her legs look terrific and she's definitely going in the right direction.

horselessmom 06-10-2013 08:47 PM

Any thoughts on her trotting? It looks awkward to me, but I don't have a good eye for it.

smrobs 06-10-2013 08:54 PM

Part of why it looks awkward to you might be due to the fact that she was posting on the wrong diagonal for the first few seconds (she switched when she was right in front of the camera). The other thing is that it looks like she's working hard to post...which she has to. I can tell you, it's hard to post on a western jog and make it look easy because the jog is slow and smooth enough that there isn't enough momentum carrying up from the horse to pop you out of the saddle like it does on a big moving horse or at a long trot. Therefore, all the pop to come up out of the saddle has to come from her and her own muscles.

It takes a lot more work on the human's part to post a jog than it does to sit it.

As for having her sit up, IMHO, it's never too early to start working on correcting that. If you can get her to start thinking about it now, before it becomes a habit, then it will be easier to overcome.

farmpony84 06-10-2013 09:03 PM

agreed with smrobs. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but to me the horse looked a tad sore at the trot...