The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Is it just me? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/just-me-21051/)

3neighs 01-18-2009 03:08 PM

Is it just me?

1 Attachment(s)
Many of you know I plan to train Luna to drive and when I look at this picture I see a horse that looks like she's already in harness. The way her head is down and her forward motion look like she is pushing against a collar. Stella, in true arab form, is just prancing around like, 'I'm so pretty'! Am I just seeing what I want to see or can you really tell by the way a horse moves whether or not it will be a good driving candidate? (Luna is in the middle, by the way.:D)

Attachment 3229

LauraB 01-18-2009 03:20 PM

Luna does look like she is pulling something in that picture but I bet Stella would be gorgeous in a cart also. When I look for a driving horse I like to see a nice long strided trot with plenty of drive from behind. Also driving a horse will teach them to use their backend.

orchid park 03-02-2009 06:36 PM

oh my snow .... how beautiful.
We dont get snow here.

Deblyne 03-04-2009 05:38 AM

Oh My, that snow looks so cold, Brrrrr! Driving candidates, you never know, Some horses I have thought would not go in have and some I think that would didn't. I do like horses/ponies that push more from behind though. I have also found that lines, that have gone in harness have a tendency to. In other words breeding from harness horses/ponies that have gone in harness, you have more of a success rate. My stallion, his daughter and her mother all went in harness. A friend of mine Anne Mills has driven for 20 years and bred welsh and the line she uses, well they have all gone in harness. You just never know, I could not pick a horse and say it would go in harness or not, I just try and narrow odds down.
Your ponies look like they are in a winter wonderland of snow. Very pretty.
But I wish you luck. :D