The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Rmh (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/rmh-21067/)

ojoazule13 01-18-2009 07:45 PM

Rmh

Welllll....I ama very happy person today. I went to the World horse expo and entered a raffle for a RMH filly...and won! I want to know your experiences with RMHs and a few other things (excuse my niaveness, I know nothing about gaited horses)-
  • can they jump?
  • Are they born gaited?
  • If so, can they be trained out of it?(not sayin I will)
  • Anything else you can tell me about their temperment ect. would be great! Thankyou!!!!
By the way, she is a yearling sooooo I was wondering if there are any training exceptions for them...Thankyou!!!!

morganshow11 01-18-2009 07:56 PM

sorry but what is a ''RMH''?

ojoazule13 01-18-2009 07:57 PM

Oh, sorry its a Rocky Mountain Horse

CowGirlUp9448 01-18-2009 07:58 PM

Rocky Mountain Horse?

CowGirlUp9448 01-18-2009 07:58 PM

Haha we must've posted at the same time lol

minihorse927 01-18-2009 11:38 PM

RMH

I have never known one to be trained out of being gaited for riding, as that is one of many reason most people want them. They have one of the smoothest gaits I have seen. I have never seen one jumped, but I believe any horse can jump if they have the desire to. I have seen some hotheads within the breed, but they have been few and far between. They are a breed with plenty of speed at the rack but they have willing temperments and seem eager to please. To get that rack when riding one, which is a ways off for you right now, you have to be able to help them balance to maintain the gait. Since RMH tend to be on the smaller side for horses I try to wait until the fall of their 3y/o year to start riding. Between now and then just lots of groundwork and bonding.

I use to always ride a friend of mines RMH when we went trail riding. I wanted one forever but never found one that was not priced for a zillion dollars (exaggeration) and then ended up finding minis instead, but that's another story.

minihorse927 01-18-2009 11:39 PM

I posted on the thread you started in just the plain horse breeds section, check it out there.

Vidaloco 01-19-2009 12:40 PM

We have 4 Rocky mountain horses :D they are a wonderful breed.
In answer to your questions
yes they can jump if trained to do so
yes they pop out of their moms with the ability to gait. It is usually refined in the training process
I've never seen one trained out of it, they can canter trot and gallop just like any horse. They just have an extra gait.

They are very easy to train, willing and intelligent. Your lucky stars must have been shining on you when they drew that ticket. Congratulations on a great win! :D
Check out the registry's web site, they have lots of information too. Rocky Mountain Horse Association, Rocky Mountain Horse, RM Horse Magazine

g8ted4me 01-19-2009 02:09 PM

I have Rocky Mountain horses and am hooked! They are wonderful- very intelligent and sweet. I have a 7 month old colt and a 5 year old mare. It has been a fantastic journey with these them. My first foal and my first Rocky.
Congrats on the win!

NorthernMama 01-19-2009 04:05 PM

Lucky you! I'm so envious!