The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Tack color suggestions! Red/Gold bay! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/tack-color-suggestions-red-gold-bay-210905/)

Wheatermay 06-10-2013 09:58 PM

Tack color suggestions! Red/Gold bay!

1 Attachment(s)
So I have all the tack I need, but of course I need more! So I came up with this! I used to like to blend my tack to my horse, instead of popping colors, BUT I now think I'll save blending for trails, and start colors for shows! LOL! So I have heard dark green looks nice on red bays. Any other suggestions for my boy?

smrobs 06-10-2013 10:01 PM

Any of the "winter" colors would look great on him. Greens, blues, even some purples (I bet he'd look amazing in lavender).

Copperhead 06-10-2013 10:02 PM

Dark green does look good on red bays. My mare is red but green looked horrible on her. I tried red and found a match :) you won't know till you start color coding!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wheatermay 06-10-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 2764041)
Dark green does look good on red bays. My mare is red but green looked horrible on her. I tried red and found a match :) you won't know till you start color coding!
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL, wish they'd give samples like at the paint store! Winter colors helps! Thanks! I'm putting my mare in turquoise. She's an overo red bay paint and I just love the color on her!

Anatopism 06-10-2013 11:23 PM

Take in a picture on your phone (or printed) to the tack store, and hold them up to colors you like :P

DraftyAiresMum 06-10-2013 11:38 PM

I like turquoise, blue, hunter green, purple (dark purple because I hate lavender lol), and red on bright bays.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lockwood 06-11-2013 12:01 AM

When I was trying to decide on colors for my new buckskin, I took brightly colored t-shirts or clothes in the colors I was considering out to the barn.
One by one I would lay out the t-shirt or clothing item across his back, or over his neck (behind his head) and stand back to look and see what I thought of the color on him.
Was helpful to narrow down the good ideas from the bad.

Also, I forget where I found it, but there is a site that you take a base drawing of a horse and pick from a large range of colors and coat patterns to make it look just like your own horse.
You then can add mane/tail colors and style (english or western, long, braided, etc..) body markings and whatnot.
Once you had the horse done, then you could pick whatever style and color of tack, saddle pads, boots, stable blankets, and accessories and try them on "your" horse.
You could try a google search for the site.

Pretty boy by the way. :-)

Wheatermay 06-11-2013 12:49 AM

Thanks! I will try the t-shirt thing! He would look great in turquoise too actually. Might look better in turquoise than his sister.... Like to have different colors for them both so i dont get them mixed up! LOL! Maybe I'll put the turquoise on him and find another for her! She looks good in lots of colors!

EdmontonHorseGal 06-11-2013 02:17 AM

i'd say go to a paint store and pick up a bunch of those square cards they use for showing customers paint colours. get colours you think would look good, and then put them up against your horse to decide which looks best. then take the colour cards you like best to the tack store to colour match with the tack.

for your gorgeous boy, i'd go burgundy and black though. that's always been a fave colour combo on bays for me :)

Wheatermay 06-11-2013 01:50 PM

I love the ideas on how to find good colors for your horses! I bet burgundy would look good on my mare!