The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Opinions on Epona Glue-on Shoes? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/opinions-epona-glue-shoes-210921/)

MLBarsHoney 06-10-2013 09:11 PM

Opinions on Epona Glue-on Shoes?

Has anyone tried the new(ish?) glue-on composite horse shoes? On-site farrier at my barn raves about them and how fabulous they are at helping your horse grow out quarter cracks and how they better balance the weight of the horse...so opinions anyone whose tried them? They are slightly more expensive and only last 5-6 weeks is about all I know about them, so enlighten me! :)

farmpony84 06-11-2013 02:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MLBarsHoney (Post 2764177)
Has anyone tried the new(ish?) glue-on composite horse shoes? On-site farrier at my barn raves about them and how fabulous they are at helping your horse grow out quarter cracks and how they better balance the weight of the horse...so opinions anyone whose tried them? They are slightly more expensive and only last 5-6 weeks is about all I know about them, so enlighten me! :)

My experience was not so good. I got the magically shoes on a Tuesday evening, hauled to a show on Thursday morning and lost the first shoe first time on the lunge line. The show farrier put a shoe on with a different kind of composite that has really held up nicely. My only complaint is that I need a wedge and he put on a regular shoe.

My experience was quite pitiful. I had my regular $80 shoes come off to be replaced by the magical $150 shoes a week later only to be replaced again by another set of shoes for $125 two days later. (I was so worried about losing the other shoe that I had the show farrier pull it).

I do have a friend that things they are the most awesome shoes ever...

Attached are pictures of the magical shoe. The last picture is the one done by the show farrier. The white coloring is a composite type of glue that he used after he nailed on the shoe. It took about 5 minutes to get hard and within 24 hours it was solid.

Histep 06-11-2013 02:46 PM

The show farrier did a decent patch job there.

farmpony84 06-11-2013 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Histep (Post 2770410)
The show farrier did a decent patch job there.

I was really happy with him. He's out of another state or I would have been tempted to use him again. My farrier fell off his mule and broke his collar bone and some ribs but he does have an apprentice so I might be ok.

Here is the other side of the hoof, it really was a mess, which was why we tried the glue-on shoes, but this composite stuff has my vote.

The front of the hoof had a little bacteria thing going on so the farrier said it would be much better if we left that piece open to breath and heal.