The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Could I cut this out of his daily feed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/could-i-cut-out-his-daily-210953/)

Cowgirls Boots 06-10-2013 10:34 PM

Could I cut this out of his daily feed?

125 Attachment(s)
So my horse is on a semi strict diet as he has foundered in the past. Also, today I just found out he also has navicular.

My issue is that he gets so little grain and so much powder that when I went down his feed it seems there's way too much powder and not enough feed for it to stick to which just creates big powder balls. (Lol) make sence?

So here's his feed-
AM:
1/2 pound Nutrena Empower Balance
1 scoop Cosequin Asu
1 scoop Remission
3 oz Flax seed

PM:
1/2 pound nutrena empower balance
3 oz flax seed

Now, the remission supplement is for founder prone horses but I'm not entirely sure if its helping him any. Now that he's got navicular the vet wants him to have 30 pills am+pm of isox and 1 scoop of bute am+pm. Is this way too much stuff to be feeding or is there anything I can cut out? I was thinking the remission can go and I can just feed 4oz of flax a day instead of 6 but not sure. The flax seed says to feed a minimum of 6 oz a day. Anyone care to help? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 06-10-2013 10:41 PM

Add a handful of soaked alfalfa-or grass- pellets:-)

deserthorsewoman 06-10-2013 10:42 PM

In fact, make that alfalfa pellets to help avoiding stomach problems due to the bute

Cowgirls Boots 06-10-2013 10:47 PM

125 Attachment(s)
He isn't supposed to have alfalfa due to foundering and he's only on bute short term. Then will be switched to previcox pills. I just feel like he gets so much powder and not enough grain to mix it with.😕

Do you think I am feeding him too much "stuff"? I feel like I'm overloading him on supplements and meds which I don't want to do
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 06-10-2013 10:52 PM

One if the big misconceptions...alfalfa causes founder. It doesn't. If you feed lots of alfalfa to an already overweight horse it will, due to the higher calorie content, make it gain weight and predispose him to insuline resistance and subsequently laminitis.
Fact is, alfalfa is lower in non-structural carbs than normal grass hay. And the pellets are even lower than the alfalfa hay. So nothing to worry about