The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   keeping horse alone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/keeping-horse-alone-211009/)

hickly 06-10-2013 11:16 PM

keeping horse alone?

Is it not dry thoughtful to keep a horse by itself? My pasture doesn't have enough grass, so I want to move one horse. Would the horse alone be terrified? I would see her every day with an hour or more of hanging out with her. Should I buy hay instead? Opinions?

Sorry for putting this under horse Heath, I thought it had mostly to do with mental health! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 06-10-2013 11:29 PM

It really depends on the horse. Will she be able to see other horses? Will there be other animals there?
Posted via Mobile Device

hickly 06-10-2013 11:46 PM

There are no neighbors with horses, sadly. Though the mare herself is very independent. It is an option to bring all 3 of my horses, but it would be a lot easier to bring one!
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 06-10-2013 11:48 PM

I would never have a horse by himself. Horses are herd animals and thrive on companionship.
Posted via Mobile Device

EdmontonHorseGal 06-11-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 2765601)
I would never have a horse by himself. Horses are herd animals and thrive on companionship.
Posted via Mobile Device

agreed. i would feel bad having a horse all by their lonesome, since they are a herd animal.

FlipFlopTipTop 06-11-2013 01:30 AM

I have had my horse alone multiple times. He did seem lonely! Even with me out constantly and having my dogs run right beside him, he was still lonely. Once he got his buddy he was a tad rough with him at first and didnt fully accept him off the bat but they became very close friends. When his pasture mates were first taken away he was very upset for the first couple days but settled after a while. It can be a big shock on them. Dont be surprised if her attitude changes completely and if she drops a bit of weight if you do decide to move her buddy.

Personally, I would buy hay

Saranda 06-11-2013 01:38 AM

You cannot predict how she will act when left alone. It is very possible that she will be in huge distress and/or try to escape the pastures to seek for her herd. Besides, horses who live alone can be subjects to serious sleep deprivation, as they don't get the chance for deep sleep while other herd members are looking over them.

Becca93 06-11-2013 02:54 AM

I think the only thing you can do it test it out - see if his behavour changes or whether he adapts well to it.

Keep in mind, like everyone has said horses generally don't like being by themselves, especially if they are in a herd environment now.

Clava 06-11-2013 04:47 AM

I wouldn't keep a horse alone, I would get a companion.

flytobecat 06-11-2013 05:07 AM

It's not an ideal situation to keep a horse alone. I would avoid doing it if you can.