The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   powerfields polywire? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/powerfields-polywire-211266/)

horsecrazygirl13 06-11-2013 12:52 PM

powerfields polywire?
 
Hi I was wondering if any of you use powerfields polywire? Does it hold up well? thanks.

Speed Racer 06-11-2013 06:30 PM

Haven't used that one, but I use a similar polywire; Fi-Shock. Has worked very well so far. You do need a decent charger, though. Mine at the moment is a 10 mile.

horsecrazygirl13 06-11-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2771978)
Haven't used that one, but I use a similar polywire; Fi-Shock. Has worked very well so far. You do need a decent charger, though. Mine at the moment is a 10 mile.

where do you get your polywire? Would you use fi-shock polytape too?

horsecrazygirl13 06-11-2013 08:52 PM

I heard some where that polywire doesnt hold up well in cold weather. is that true?

Speed Racer 06-12-2013 11:59 AM

Tractor Supply carries it in my area, but most of the farm supply stores should have it.

I don't know about Canadian winters since I'm in the southern US, but it seems to work fine on our coldest days. Which granted, aren't anywhere near as cold as yours. The coldest we get is high 20s Fahrenheit, but generally not any lower than 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

horsecrazygirl13 06-12-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2778234)
Tractor Supply carries it in my area, but most of the farm supply stores should have it.

I don't know about Canadian winters since I'm in the southern US, but it seems to work fine on our coldest days. Which granted, aren't anywhere near as cold as yours. The coldest we get is high 20s Fahrenheit, but generally not any lower than 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

would rope hold up better then? do you use your polywire as your pasture perimiter?
Our TSC has it but it's $37/656 ft. I dont think I want to spend so much there if I can get it cheaper somewhere else. I guess I'll try the tractor supply in the states...

Speed Racer 06-12-2013 12:13 PM

I do use it as my perimeter fencing. As long as you have a good, strong charger and sturdy fence posts it should be fine.

I'd think a heavier electrified rope would work better than the thinner polywire for you.

horsecrazygirl13 06-12-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2778306)
I do use it as my perimeter fencing. As long as you have a good, strong charger and sturdy fence posts it should be fine.

I'd think a heavier electrified rope would work better than the thinner polywire for you.

you mean in cold weather?

Speed Racer 06-12-2013 12:20 PM

Yes, for cold weather. You don't want the thinner stuff snapping when the temps drop down below freezing and stay there for months.

None of it is cheap, although electric fencing is much more economical than board fencing. Easier to maintain, too.

horsecrazygirl13 06-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2778386)
Yes, for cold weather. You don't want the thinner stuff snapping when the temps drop down below freezing and stay there for months.

None of it is cheap, although electric fencing is much more economical than board fencing. Easier to maintain, too.

what about jumbo polywire? what is the recomended post spacing for rope/polywire?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0