The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Kathryn's Journal (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/kathryns-journal-21129/)

kathryn 01-19-2009 05:25 PM

Kathryn's Journal

Ok so here is my journal.

A few weeks ago I got permission to lease a horse from my parents. Last Wednesday, I met a horse, DC, a 16.2hh chestnut TB with a blaze and stockings. He was gorgeous and adorable and super sweet.

1/17/09
I bought new field boots this day, and have started breaking them in.

1/19/09
I am officially looking at DC on Wednesday! We are going to meet up and discuss things and I probably am gonna get to ride him! I am soo excited.

Now that it is all caught up, I can try really hard to keep it up and make the new posts more detailed.

Jubilee Rose 02-15-2009 10:39 PM

Sorry no one has replied! Sounds like things are going well. :wink: Do you have more updates?

kathryn 03-28-2009 07:07 PM

Trying to get you all caught up haha. I am now leasing Brewer, a 17.1hh Dark Bay OTTB with a star and a snip. He is 23 years old, and has been left out in the field for about 8 years, and he is super out of shape. I am trying to get him back to where he was, which was 3ft Hunter Jumpers, but IDK if I will be able to considering his age.

Whats really great is that I only pay 200 a month but I get to ride him whenever I want.

Also, today I bought a show coat! And its just in time for my InterSchool Invitational which I got into! There are six riders in my class and I am gonna kick all their butts, haha

TXWMP 03-28-2009 07:31 PM

thats awsome you got into the class, Good luck and keep us posted pictures would be great.

kathryn 03-30-2009 08:51 PM

Today I rode Brewer for about an hour. We just worked on flatwork the whole time, or we tried to, but he was being a major pain. He wouldn't trot, only walk or canter. And when I finally did let him canter he didn't hold his lead at ALL, like only for 3/4 of the way around the ring. He also kept tossing his head everywhere and walking his back legs sideways off the rail. Bad horsey.

kathryn 07-24-2009 10:45 AM

Oh I didnt realize I never posted how I did in the Invitational. Wellllll.... I championed it! I have a plaque and everything! There were only 4 people in my class cause it was pouring and a lot of people dropped out. But first class, I got 4th. I was really bummed. But then the next class, I got first! I was so proud of myself, I had never gotten a first in a flat class before, and I did it back to back with a last place! Then came my jumping class, I have never NOT gotten first in a jump class, but I was still nervous. And I did it! I was soooooooooo excited! And that girl who had championed every show before and beaten me every time got Reserve. Stinks, but I am happy for me!

Nowwww.... tonight Brewer and I have our first show together. Its just a little "Dinner and a Show" at my barn, and we are doing Pleasure and Long Stirrup together. I had my lesson this morning, and if he goes like he did this morning, we are going to do awesome!

And then Sunday I have another show, but not with Brewer this time.

SOOOOOO excited for this weeked!

QHChik 07-24-2009 11:52 AM

good luck!

kathryn 07-26-2009 09:14 AM

Well, you can find out how my show went here.

http://www.horseforum.com/english-ri...le-show-32397/

And my other show got cancelled. :(

kathryn 07-26-2009 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of me and Brewer before the show got ugly haha

kathryn 07-26-2009 03:10 PM

So I just got back from riding Brewer. I think his age is caught up to him and he is done. :( He can't jump anymore, if he jumps, he almost always knocks the fences but refuses over half the time. When I first started leasing him, he would never ever knock rails or refuse.

Also, his trot and canter got soooo much better, then all the sudden they've taken a giant leap back. He's back to where he was, unable to hold his leads or even his canter in general. He wheezes loud enough for the entire arena to hear, and lathers up fast.

This is such a bummer, he was really getting better, but he is 23...