The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stifle injury (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stifle-injury-21150/)

babyruth1984 01-19-2009 09:18 PM

Stifle injury

In October I bought my first horse Kyanne from a trail riding facility, I thought she looked fine. Stupid me didn't have a vet look at her before buying her. When I paid her off, which was a month after putting a deposit on her, you could see her ribs. I had her out at a pasture that the facility owners owned for a month before taking her to a boarding facility. When the BO of the boarding facility came to pick her up she noticed that my mare was walking alittle funny on her right rear leg. She didn't tell me this until later on because she didn't want to worry me, since I was new to horse ownership. After a problem on the trails the BO and another trainer asked to ride her and see how she acted with them. They rode her in the round pen and when they asked her to lope she started bucking. They took her back into the barn and looked at her back hooves. On her left hoof she's been walking far back on her hooves so that the whole frog is smoothed out, not just the part that points to the toe. And her "ankle" on her right feels hot to the touch, that's the one she seems to have the pain in. The BO called out two different farriers and on said that he thinks it's more in her hips, the other said he thinks it's more the stifle on her right leg. Today I took my cousin out to see the horses and Kyanne kicked out with her right leg and caught my cousin in the leg. I think she stepped on it wrong because the only other time she's kicked someone was when the farriers were doing test on her right leg. In the round pen she started bucking when she was having to trott so that weight was on her right. The farriers said she was still rideable just not to take her at more than a trott, and the 15 year old boy who rides her for me when I can't never had a problem with her on the trails. Can cold weather make the pain worse so that she acts like she did today? And is there anything I can do to help her and lesson the pain? The vet looks at her in two weeks, until then I'm not riding her. It just really sucks because I wanna ride my girl. grrrr.

NorthernMama 01-19-2009 10:01 PM

You need to have the vet, not the farrier, isolate the area to find out if it's in her hip or stifle as well as her warm fetlock. They can do that with nerve blocks. Once you know the area, you can decide if you need x-rays or ultrasound. A good farrier is definitely part of the solution, but neither vets or farriers work independently. You need them both on this one!

Yes, cold can aggravate pain, depending what's causing it. Usually cold doesn't bother injuries that react with heat and swelling. But maybe the underlying issue is bone/joint as you suspect and that could be sensitive to cold.

In the meantime, treat the aggravated fetlock with cold hosing -- 2 or 3 times a day. You can poultice as well twice a day; if you wrap, wrap both legs to prevent swelling in the good leg.

Ryle 01-19-2009 10:15 PM

Northernmama is right, you need to have a vet out to assess your horse. Farriers are not trained in medical conditions other than those that pertain directly to the hoof and they are not capable of diagnosing lameness issues. They just seriously don't have the kind of medical background for this--you can only diagnose based on what you know and when your background knowledge is limited you can miss or mistake many things.

If the right front is hot/sore, it may be causing the mare to carry herself differently to protect that foot and thus causing abnormal movement and wear on the other limbs.

You need to get a lameness exam and figure out what is going on.

babyruth1984 01-19-2009 10:59 PM

The vet is coming out to look at her when he comes to do the vaccines.

NorthernMama 01-20-2009 08:33 AM

Oh good. I'm anxious to hear her/his comments.

babyruth1984 01-20-2009 10:04 AM

me too. I am so worried that he's going to say that only light riders can ride her because of the strain that it will put on her leg, or him saying she shouldn't be ridden at all. I can only afford one horse right now and I really want to be able to ride with everyone else. But I am so afraid that if I was to trade,sell, or give her away that then she'll be abused or sold at an auction. I've heard stories of people giving away their horse under the circumstance that if they can not take care of them any more that the horse comes back to them. But the person who gets the horse didn't do that and instead sends the horse to death, or just doesn't take care of them and when they first owners see's the horse they're halfway starved to death. If the vet says I can ride her just no more than once a week or every other week I can deal with that. Or even if he says that only lighter riders should ride her, I can lease her out to a beginner with the understanding that she is to remain at the barn. I would charge just enough for the barn fee which is $250. This way everyone who boards with me and the BO could keep an eye on her when I'm not around and I know they would tell me if she was being ran or abused. They would not allow any of that anyways. They love her almost as much as I do. She is so patient and she has got the sweetest eyes. That is what sold her to me in the first place. If I lease her out then I could afford to get another horse that I can ride. I am so nervous. When she walked up to me yesterday after I put her out in the pasture and rested her head on my shoulder I wanted to cry.