The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How often does your horse lie down? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-often-does-your-horse-lie-21154/)

NorthernMama 01-19-2009 10:15 PM

How often does your horse lie down?

I have a bit of a hang-up about my horses lying down due to some sad past experiences. So now I see my 6 year old Stdbd lying down during the day and I get all nervous about it. I keep telling myself: It's a good thing. She's relaxed. Don't fret it... but I do. Other than that, she seem fine. So I think I just need some input from other horses to calm me down. Surely there are other horses that just love to relax as much as she does?

So the 6yr old lies down, oh, 1 - 3 times a day. The other one, 9 yrs old, lies down maybe, *maybe* once a week.

Ryle 01-19-2009 10:18 PM

Horses should lie down and sleep daily--they need REM sleep just like we do and they can only get this while laying down. It is not uncommon at all for horses to lay down at least once daily and often more than that if they are full, content and feel comfortable in their surroundings.

I know that if I go out at 11 am daily my horses will be laying down and napping unless it raining at that time.

PalominoStarsky 01-19-2009 10:20 PM

I am very paranoid about that. We lost our last horse this past year from colic, so when we got Starsky, we freaked out the first few nights we had him. He lays down all the time, especially in his stall at night. My husband or I will go out 30 minutes and an hour after we feed since we are so worried about him. Nothing is wrong with him, he just is the type of horse who likes to lay down and roll.

Walkamile 01-19-2009 10:25 PM

Both my horses lie down, but I know what you mean about getting nervous. Sometimes, especially in the summer, one or both will be laying down for a while, totally on their sides and enjoying the warmth. I always think the worse until they finally get up.

I'd say they probably lay down 2 - 4 times a day.

brittany 01-19-2009 10:30 PM

:DMy two babies love to lay down every morning and sunbathe...I get paranoid about this as well, but since they do it every day and they're babies I just figure they like to take naps a lot

Britt 01-19-2009 10:31 PM

In the summer, mine sunbathe a lot, but during the rest of the year they don't lie down often at all, just to sleep for a bit every day...

My Beau 01-19-2009 10:32 PM

You might just not be seeing your other horse lay down, maybe he prefers laying down at dusk/early morning/or a time when you are normally sleeping. The standardbred just perfers late morning, a time when you are around.

NorthernMama 01-19-2009 10:34 PM

Gee, I feel better already... I *know* I'm paranoid now, but still nice to hear. Maybe I should be paranoid about the one who I never see lying down LOL!

Anyone else?

Walkamile 01-19-2009 10:38 PM

northernmama,

Mine also love to roll at least once a day, especially in fresh snow.
First the mare, who rolls all the way over, then the gelding rolls in the same spot, only he never rolls all the way over, has to get up and switch sides. It's just part or their normal behavior. I've accepted it now.

minihorse927 01-20-2009 12:27 AM

I know mine are all asleep at about 1-2 in the afternoon and then again they sleep at various times throughout the day. If I feed extra early for some reason then I catch all of them very blurry eyed and asleep.