The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Giving medication orally (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/giving-medication-orally-21157/)

KateS 01-19-2009 10:53 PM

Giving medication orally

I'm just wondering, I have to give my horse medication every day starting now and I'm just wondering what I could mix with the liquid to make it thicker. Does it work to mix some flour with it or is it not good to give horses flour? It is meant to be mixed with grain but there are 2 problems with that. First, I don't feed my horses grain. Second, in the past when I have fed grain and I've needed to mix something in with it my mare refuses to eat it. So I've come to the conclusion that I just have to put it in a syringe and give it to her like dewormer. But my problem is that the medication is runny like water and if I put it in her mouth she just lets it dribble out whereas if it is thick she has no choice but to swallow it.

Walkamile 01-19-2009 10:57 PM

How about putting it in applesauce and give it to her like a paste dewormer?

brittany 01-19-2009 10:59 PM

You could maybe make homemade treats of some kind...or...(I'm not sure if beet pulp with molasses is like grain, where you have to wean them on/off of it) you could give them half a scoop of pelleted beet pulp with molasses, you have to soak it for so many hours or it can make the horse choke though...just incase if you're not sure about my help lets see what other ppl think about it, hope it helps, good luck:D

StormyBlues 01-19-2009 11:03 PM

ok, we had to do something like this with our mares. We had to feed a pill crushed up and we mixed it with 30ccs of applesauce(please refrigerate, we were stupid and didn't and wasted like a whole jar of applesauce. not like i like applesauced anyway,) and a squirt of syrup and the horses LOVED it! you have to get it way back there in their trought though!

brittany 01-19-2009 11:07 PM

I also think horses eat peanut butter...but watch out if you try the peanut butter b/c some of it's being recalled

KateS 01-20-2009 09:24 AM

Applesauce sounds like the way to go I think. I will definately remember to keep it in the fridge lol. I don't know why I didn't think of applesauce. Thanks for the idea.

My Beau 01-20-2009 09:49 AM

Cherry or strawberry jello is what a lot of equine hospitals use :]