The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Progress! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/progress-21185/)

Harlee rides horses 01-20-2009 03:21 PM

Progress!

So, I don't really get to ride too often with the snow and what not...but, the time I have ridden (since my last post-look for "Western Pleasure??") I've been working solely with split reins, and doing a lot of smaller circles, mainly to focus on her headset. Well, the bending is going phenomenal! Head set is just where it should be...give or take. But her lope is crazy unless I'm holding her...she's getting the hang of it and what not but still, my arms hurt after riding and she's breathing like a lunatic. I haven't had time to call the trainer yet:? but we're getting on that..

It could just be that we're riding in nearly 6 inches of snow that she feels the need to speed it up a bit...but once she gets tired she lopes real nice:wink: so I figure, since she wants to canter, push her into a canter, make her keep that canter for a bit and then eventually ask for the lope, she picks up a canter...keep cantering!:evil:

Advice?

LauraB 01-20-2009 07:41 PM

It sounds like you are doing much better!

NorthernMama 01-20-2009 09:17 PM

Hey! Where ya been, girl?! Good to hear from you.

mlkarel2010 01-20-2009 09:23 PM

I'd go with your idea. As long as you make her think that it is her idea to lope it should work.

Sounds like you guys are doing good. Keep up the good work!

Dumas'_Grrrl 01-21-2009 12:35 PM

I'd imagine that loping in the snow is harder. She's probably just wanting to get her feet up so she can move more freely. *shrug* don't really know why for sure but that's my guess.

I'd call the trainer for sure.

Good to hear from ya!!!! Sounds like the circles & such are improving! Hooray!!!

Angel_Leaguer 01-21-2009 03:18 PM

I agree with Dumas... the snow is probably causing her to speed up, same goes with deep arenas or muddy spots. I think when she gets into where her head should be the speed will come. Good luck!!!

LoveMyFinny 01-22-2009 01:04 AM

The snow probably definitely makes it more difficult. Keep up with your bending, and once you aren't riding in the snow, if she is still very forward and cantering, go a few strides, stop her and back. Then go again, keep repeating this and she should start slowing on her own. Once she gets to a lope, let her keep going longer, its not as much work as stopping and backing constantly, then praise her to let her know that is what you were looking for. I have had success slowing horses down like that, without having to really get into their mouths. Sounds like you are on a good track right now.

Harlee rides horses 01-23-2009 07:05 PM

Ugh, it's so much work!:wink:

Dumas'_Grrrl 01-24-2009 05:57 PM

Spring is comming Harlee....hang in there!!!! :D

PoptartShop 01-24-2009 05:59 PM

Aww, that's good to hear! :D Glad you're making progress with her.