The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Animal control is useless... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/animal-control-useless-211890/)

ClaudiaD 06-12-2013 12:02 PM

Animal control is useless...

So since I could no longer stand the sight of 2 horses at my barn that are both around 100 pounds under weight and I'm pretty sure their feet haven't been trimmed since last year, I called animal control and complained to them about it and all they told the person was that their horses are fit and the horses feet need a little maintenance.

I swear animal control no nothing about horses and won't do anything unless a horse is about on their death bed. I have been around horses my whole life and even went to college for equine business management. And just because a horse doesn't have all their bones protruding doesn't mean they're not under weight. Ugh, sorry I just wanted to vent cause I am really frustrated that there is nothing else I can do. I really think that the government (federal, state or local) needs to make a animal control that is specifically for farm animals.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 06-12-2013 12:07 PM

These horses are at YOUR barn? I am thinking you board? You might want to be careful, since the one who will get in deep doo doo could just be the BO, and you may be out on your ear. Have you talked to the BO about this? There may be other issues you may not be area of as to why these horses are underweight. Start by co mmunicating with folks who may know something rather than simply jumping the gun and reporting. Doesn't sound horrible by any means, and I truly doubt you can say with 100% certainty when the horses feet are done unless you literally are ther 24/7. Look before you shoot.....just a piece of advice. It may come back to bite you in the behind.

waresbear 06-12-2013 12:17 PM

Have you spoke with the BO owner first? If these horses are slightly skinny & feet neglected, you would think the BO would speak to the owners as it is them that looks badly. Slightly skinny and untrimmed hooves isn't something AC can act on, the animal has to be in distress, all they can do is tell the owner to trim up the feet as they did unless the horse is lame with slipper feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 06-12-2013 12:17 PM

Animal control has strict regulations. As long as there is food on the property, they can't do anything. At least that's how it is in my area, and I live right outside of Houston, Tx. We just recently had someone call the SPCA on a horse at our barn who is underweight and has horrible hooves. He's still there because the owners have feed and feed him, just not enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClaudiaD 06-12-2013 01:22 PM

I see the horses every day and always look to see how they are cause they are right next to the arena. I have watched these horses starve for the last couple of years and I also know that the person has starved and neglected the last horse they had to the point it had to be put down.

As for the BO, they don't care because they see it as a paycheck. They usually keep their horses on good weight and feet trimmed but that's it. I need to find another barn but its too expensive for me to move my horse right now
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 06-12-2013 02:14 PM

Issue is that legally speaking, I believe the Bo is responsible for the well being of animals on their property, so they DO have something to say about it.. You have been watching this for 2 yrs? Wow. Why have you chosen now to say something? Sounds a little strange.

alexischristina 06-12-2013 02:17 PM

I'd get out of that barn as soon as possible, I, personally, wouldn't want to be associated with those sorts of people. The horse industry is small and people can quickly come to associate you with them and not want anything to do with you.

BUT, imo there's nothing animal control can do. They get so many calls every day that it's up to them to pick and choose who they CAN help. Seizing animals who are slightly underweight might mean they have no room to help an animal who IS on it's death bed, or is being seriously abused. If it were me I'd throw hay to these horses when I could, would make sure they're getting enough water and maybe talk to the owners about their feet. Who knows, maybe they're having a very rough time and can't afford it and don't realize just how bad it is to leave them. Maybe they're new owners who don't have a clue. If the first is the case, you might even be able to find a local farrier who is willing to come out and start cleaning up their feet for free or a reduced price.

I hate to see AC called until someone sits down with the owners, because some owners just don't know any better and until someone tells them and helps them they'll continue to remain ignorant until something bad happens.

JCnGrace 06-13-2013 12:32 AM

I'm so confused! I've always had my horses on my own property so I don't know all the details about boarding but I always thought when you boarded your horse somewhere the monthly fee at least covered feed and hay.

franknbeans 06-13-2013 06:03 AM

^^ Not always, JC. Some places you are basically paying a facility fee, and have to provide your own feed, bedding and labor.

Iseul 06-13-2013 08:19 AM

Wow..I'm glad you aren't at my barn. My mare is a good 100# or so underweight. The gelding I adopted is about 150# underweight and the shoe job on them is kinda iffy right now..

Sooo, time to call AC? What about an OTTB that just WON'T gain weight? Owners are trying as hard as they can and stuffing grain and hay into her, but maybe they're too new to horses to know that they should pull blood, fecal count, etc to see WHY the horse isn't gaining weight?

AC rarely says/does anything about feet. If they do, all they tell them is to have the farrier out. And 100# underweight is nothing..my mare was a good 400# give or take when I picked her up and brought her to this barn. I'd be livid if someone called AC on me because my mare is still thin, and they would have not a bit of respect from me for not asking me about it themselves instead of automatically assuming I've been starving my horse. I get $25 off board for supplying my own feed..Know how much I spend on feed each month for just Alahna? I spend a good $150-175/month on feed and supplements.
Posted via Mobile Device