The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stocking up and foot soreness? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stocking-up-foot-soreness-211922/)

Strange 06-12-2013 12:27 PM

Stocking up and foot soreness?

My poor little mare has gotten pretty footsore behind. She should be getting hind shoes this week, but I've also noticed she's stocking up a bit behind. I noticed this first last week with the slight lameness and my first thought went to soft tissue injury, so I took her to the vet and some hoof testers revealed the foot soreness. He palpated and flexed we hind joints anyway and she was fine (tiny bit hock sore, but she just started retraining after sitting in a field for 2 months, so not unexpected). She's turned out with 4 other horses 24/7. Is it common for a foot sore horse to stock up a little bit behind?

I would call my vet and ask, but he's out of the country for at least another week. :) Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Histep 06-12-2013 02:15 PM

Yes it happens, you could paint the sole of her foot with a hoof paint to help her out and a liniment on her hock if she's sore there too. Are her heels clean? Cracked, cruddy heels could cause some stockiness also.

Strange 06-12-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Histep (Post 2780058)
Yes it happens, you could paint the sole of her foot with a hoof paint to help her out and a liniment on her hock if she's sore there too. Are her heels clean? Cracked, cruddy heels could cause some stockiness also.

Thanks!

I just bought some stuff for the soles of her feet and started putting it on this morning. She's got plenty of sore-no-more for her hocks which she's been getting. She was doing a lot better last week but I was gone all weekend grooming at a show so she didn't get as much TLC as she normally does. She's got the typical, low-slung heels that a lot of TBs have, plus the thin soles. My farrier has done a fabulous job slowly getting her to stand up a little more in front and get up off her heels (the vet actually complimented how well her front feet are looking so far and I need to remember to tell my farrier that, haha) so I'm sure he'll really do well on her hinds as well. It's just a waiting game. He's got an incredibly full schedule so he's trying to squeeze me in within the next day or two.