The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Traditional or Parelli Methods? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/traditional-parelli-methods-21209/)

Andi 01-20-2009 09:30 PM

Traditional or Parelli Methods?

Just a question. I got a young horse, she is three and unbroken, I am going to break her myself. I was wondering if people think it would be better to start her with Parelli type methods or more traditional but kind English methods.

My last horse I did not really start with Parelli, but she was much quieter than this one and I did not teach her things like lungeing until after she was broken. I did some basic Parelli with my old horse and he was better for it, but I never got that into it with my following ones.

With this one I am about to start to teach to lunge etc. Would I be better to teach her Parelli things like Lateral lunging and the yields or should I just continue with teaching her traditional lunging then side reins etc.

I don't feel I can do both because the principles of each differ too much, I feel I should only train her in one method at a time.

What are peoples opinions? I know Parelli can be helpful with older horses, teaching them to respond on the ground and such, but is it good for breaking in horses as well?

Spastic_Dove 01-20-2009 09:32 PM

I really think you can do a mixture of both because it depends on the individual horse. I think Parelli is really good for groundwork stuff dos maybe you would want to start off with Parelli and then switch to a different Natural Horsemanship trainer who has a bit more solid of a riding program.

I think it just comes down to what the horse works better with on an individual basis.

mlkarel2010 01-20-2009 10:26 PM

Parelli uses psychology of the horse. Horses of every age are still horses and still think like horses, so Parelli will still work on them.

Dennis Reis (similar approach as Parelli) starts them in a natural horsemanship way and the colts turn out much gentler and calmer. I've seen some of his colt starting seminars (the filly even had the number 666 branded on her). He also adds a bit of traditional.

But really it's up to what works for you and your horse

Kentucky 01-21-2009 01:18 PM

I suggest natural horsemanship other than Parelli, but look at several and find what works for you.

Dumas'_Grrrl 01-21-2009 01:26 PM

I would think this is more of a personal preference question. What ever method you use will most likely be just fine as long as YOU have a good understanding of it and can master and communicate the lesson to the horse.

I myself don't set anything in stone, I may understand the lesson completely but fail to be able to communicate it to the horse so I have to use something else there....I do a mix of NH and more traditional methods. I use what works for Me and the Horse and I think it makes for a better trained well rounded horse. (and trainer :D always keep your eyes and ears open, there's more than one way to skin a cat :wink:)

Good Luck, be safe and have fun!!!

appylover31803 01-21-2009 03:25 PM

I would say to look at a few different methods, be it Natural horsemanship, traditional, classical, whatever. I would take the things you like and understand best from those and make it into your own training. It is always best to use more than one trainer, IMO.

When I did parelli with my horses, I found it got difficult when I hit a bump in the road and the books and videos mentioned nothing about it. I then had to come up with someone of my own to get over the bump.

I agree with Amy, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Spirithorse 01-21-2009 09:32 PM

I would definitely suggest Parelli. I don't think there is a better foundation to put on a horse personally. But I would caution you if you plan on mixing Parelli and more traditional training...the risk of confusing the horse is high and I personally don't believe in mixing differnt training ideas. But that's just me.

LoveMyFinny 01-21-2009 10:09 PM

Personally, I have not been impressed with a single parelli trained horse I have seen. All that I have seen are very disrespectful, have no idea about personal space, and just aren't pleasant to be around. Most of the people around here that do parelli are a bit off their rockers as well, and maybe just aren't doing it right. JUST MY OPINION! I also do not agree with one method, and with parelli, it confuses the crap out of me and it would be hard to combine with other methods.
Look around and see what you like best, and then see what your horse likes best. Every person and every horse is different, if everyone used the same methods to do things, it would be pretty boring. I am def a Clinton Anderson fan, but a take a bit from everyone and do what works for me.

toosexy4myspotz 01-21-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMyFinny (Post 235587)
Personally, I have not been impressed with a single parelli trained horse I have seen. All that I have seen are very disrespectful, have no idea about personal space, and just aren't pleasant to be around. Most of the people around here that do parelli are a bit off their rockers as well, and maybe just aren't doing it right. JUST MY OPINION! I also do not agree with one method, and with parelli, it confuses the crap out of me and it would be hard to combine with other methods.
Look around and see what you like best, and then see what your horse likes best. Every person and every horse is different, if everyone used the same methods to do things, it would be pretty boring. I am def a Clinton Anderson fan, but a take a bit from everyone and do what works for me.

Thank the good lord above! I agree with you a hundred and ten percent on the space issue!!! One of the girls at my old barn was a level eight parelli person and I have never in my born days seen any horses that quite as rude as hers. Her 3 yo paint mare plastered a guy to the ground once day because she wanted to come threw the gate. Her 9 yo arab gelding gets all up in your face and just steps all over you. There are some people out there that can truely master parelli but it is not for everyone. You can either make or break your horse. I also dont believe in sticking to one method. I love Chris Cox, Clinton Anderson, Monty Roberts, and a few others but in different ways. Look around and explore and kinda put your own technique together that YOU feel comfortable with. Dont just bind yourself to one method.

Spirithorse 01-21-2009 11:20 PM

I can honestly say, from someone who has been with Parelli a LONG time, that if a horse is pushy, etc. and the owner has been "doing Parelli" with it, that person is doing it wrong. I've seen bad examples of the program. But you see bad examples with any trainer, in any style of riding. Unfortunately that's the way the world is.

My horses respect my space and are extremely well behaved. Ya'll have never seen my horses...I'm not bragging but I can say they are excellent examples of what Parelli can do.