The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   front shoes only??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/front-shoes-only-21213/)

kchfuller 01-20-2009 09:52 PM

front shoes only???

so my mare is really bad at getting her back shoes on ... something must have happened at the track and i have been working with her for a year and NOTHING is getting better. my farrier is really good and so patient but every time she gets shoes i have to be there and we have to make it happen ... he isn't doing anything that hurts her so i was wondering what you guys think about doing front shoes only. I am going to talk to him about it ... she is a TB so she doesn't have great feet but she has good ones, i have worked hard to get them good.

Let me know what you guys think! :)

minihorse927 01-20-2009 10:22 PM

How often do you ride her? In what sort of events? Do you just trail ride or are you a full time eventer? All these things will contribute to others opinions on what they think would work out. How are her feet in general? Does she have any reason to absolutely have to have shoes on or is she rode so lightly she could do without?

kchfuller 01-20-2009 10:32 PM

i ride her in Hunters ... we are starting to jump. (sometimes go on trail rides but not often) .. the pasture that she goes in has some rocky parts and i don't want her hooves to get eaten up ...

her feet are 100% better then they were last year ... i have been keeping them dry (she used to stand in the water/mud and her hooves were soft) but not letting them get to dry (i use a hoof nutrient and also a supplement in her food).. my farrier said her feet look great compared to what they did look like ...

My Beau 01-21-2009 12:05 AM

My QH (not so great feet) is in front shoes. He has been for the 4 1/2 years that I've owned him - we event, trail ride, do jumpers, polocrosse, etc. No problems. Sometimes we have slippage problems on cross country - but nothing major. I actually had more problems with the fronts with stone bruises.

SaddleUp158 01-21-2009 12:30 AM

As long as her feet will hold up and she has plenty of traction for jumping she should be fine with only front shoes on. Something you can do at home to get her used to her back feet being done is when you pick her feet out get an old horseshoe and a hammer or screwdriver and tap on the shoe like the farrier would when hammering it. This will get her use to the sensation and noise, but won't have to hold her foot up as long or have anything driven into it. We work with all our young horses with this until they stand quietly for the farrier.

kchfuller 01-21-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleUp158 (Post 235040)
As long as her feet will hold up and she has plenty of traction for jumping she should be fine with only front shoes on. Something you can do at home to get her used to her back feet being done is when you pick her feet out get an old horseshoe and a hammer or screwdriver and tap on the shoe like the farrier would when hammering it. This will get her use to the sensation and noise, but won't have to hold her foot up as long or have anything driven into it. We work with all our young horses with this until they stand quietly for the farrier.

I have totally already done the banging thing lol ... she stands great for me :?

Yeah i have worked a lot with her but i think after the vet came out and was so abrupt with her, she has taken a million steps back :-(

RusticWildFire 01-21-2009 10:36 AM

When I used to get my horse shod he only had front shoes for quite a while! It worked out well for him!

zanytactics 01-21-2009 01:38 PM

Just leave her barefoot in the back. I spent years doing eventing, jumpers with only half shoes. Mine are now all barefoot. Just ask your farrier to roll the edges more in the hind, this will prevent her hooves from chipping away. As long as the hoofwall is level with the hard sole you shouldn't have a problem.

You can also add a section of pea gravel infront of her water, this will help her feet become stronger.

IrishRider 01-21-2009 02:06 PM

My mare only has front shoes on, and has for as long as I know and she is fine. Actually a lot of the horses at my barn only have fronts.

LoveMyFinny 01-21-2009 10:14 PM

I have only had front shoes on my horses, now everyone is barefoot. I got my buy off the track and my farrier has been trimming him for 2 years now. He was just trimmed today and he told me that compared to what his feet were like when he came off the track, they are 10 times better now since he has been barefoot. Of course it also depends on the terrain for your horse, but he shouldn't have any trouble with just fronts.