The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   I love my Jr. Cowhorse but... (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/i-love-my-jr-cowhorse-but-212130/)

QHriderKE 06-12-2013 05:35 PM

I love my Jr. Cowhorse but...

I rode Squiggy in a rope halter (just foolin around bareback) and she was super comfortable with it and handled nice.

Now. Explain to me how this works.
BP Smooth Snaffle Combo - Frontier Western Shop Ltd.

I've been wanting to try a combo on her for a while, but not totally sure how they work, so I dont want to put something on my horse I don't get.

Your rein clips in the bottom hole there, but then you dont have much purchase, and it's just a steady pull, right? so it pulls on the mouth, then nose pressure?
It's confusing me.
And wouldnt it sit pretty low on the nose? Not like a little S or a normal hackamore.

I really need to get out and find one of these bits and play with it in my hands... lol.

I'm not thinking of changing bits soon, I have excellent feel with the snaffle and jr. cowhorse I use now. The only other bit I want to try is a sweet 6.

beau159 06-12-2013 06:51 PM

If Squiggy is working good in the Jr. Cowhorse, I probably would not switch her.

Now I'm not a bit expert either, but in the bit you posted you've got very little leverage (as far as shanks are concerned) which I believe equates to little poll pressure. I would say it would operate more like a snaffle + nose pressure. Yes, that particular design of bit will have the noseband sit VERY low on the nose. Now anyone of you folks who I know are good bit guru's, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have a Sweet Six Combo at home that I tried on Red one time. I did not like it and neither did he!
Sweet Six Interchangeable Rope Nose - M.C. Diamond Ranch

That's about my only experience with actually using a combo close to the one you posted.

BarrelRacer23 06-12-2013 06:57 PM

Those bits don't sit any lower than a hackamore. It works off mainly nose pressure, since the bit is a gag. The more responsive your horse is the less the bit, curb and poll pressure will be engaged. I'm not saying they won't not engage, but it's a fairly simple bit that most horses seem fine in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Copperhead 06-12-2013 07:00 PM

When I trained polo ponies, all of the horses were exercised in these.

Honest to god, I have absolutely no idea what the nose band does. I know that sounds terrible. The boss wanted these used on all of the horses during exercise and it wasnt a terribly harsh bit that he was asking me to use so I did it. I almost never had to touch the reins on those horses so I couldn't see it hurting.

I later heard of the uses of that nose band but by then I had moved out of state and wasnt using them anymore so I didn't pay much attention.

I'd be interested in if someone could refresh my memory.

Eta: the combo we used was a snaffle bit with the rawhide noseband, not exactly this one. I've seen them since then. They come as a set with the bridle and reins and you can't exchange bits. It's just on there for good.
Posted via Mobile Device