The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Keep safe Alberta folk!! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/keep-safe-alberta-folk-212218/)

Fulford15 06-12-2013 06:18 PM

Keep safe Alberta folk!!

Just sending out warm thoughts to everyone that may be effected by the tornado just south of Edmonton, I believe it's in Pigeon Lake area at the moment. :-( Keep Safe!!!!

Here in Fort McMurray we have experienced flooding, almost 20 houses evacuated now and a trailer park, with more rain coming this week. Part of downtown is without power, businesses and the college is shut down.:shock:

waresbear 06-12-2013 06:39 PM

I just heard on the news driving into work....a Tornado in Edmonton, Prince Albert region? Never heard of that happening, hopefully everyone is safe.

WSArabians 06-12-2013 07:05 PM

We've got rain, hail, thunder, and lightening but so far no tornadoes out this way yet. Hopefully we don't!

Fulford, are you still coming to the meet up?

BigGreyHorse 06-12-2013 07:11 PM

I don't think I've ever heard of a tornado in Canada. Wow. Stay safe folks.

WSArabians 06-12-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGreyHorse (Post 2783770)

Oh, we get the odd one. Edmonton had a huge one back in 1987, I think that was the latest one that had damage. Mos that we get don't cause any damage.
We're probably the safest place in the world for natural disasters.

Muppetgirl 06-12-2013 07:30 PM

One of my FB friends from Fort McMurray was gloating about the sunny weather up there a week or so ago when we were getting all this rain down here in Calgary....she said something like 'too bad it's raining in Calgary, nice and sunny here'......guess karma works......

Hmmm Tornado? I just watched the weather....no mention of it????

WSArabians 06-12-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2784050)
One of my FB friends from Fort McMurray was gloating about the sunny weather up there a week or so ago when we were getting all this rain down here in Calgary....she said something like 'too bad it's raining in Calgary, nice and sunny here'......guess karma works......

Hmmm Tornado? I just watched the weather....no mention of it????

I think it's all over already. lol

jumanji321 06-13-2013 08:28 PM

Meh, Lethbridge gets one every couple of years but they are weak and only last a few minutes at most. Thankfully they have always touched down in the middle of a field although Coaldale had a hay shed take some damage from one last year I think.

NorthernMama 06-13-2013 09:22 PM

Ya, Ontario gets them from time to time as well. Nothing like the US though.

countryryder 06-14-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGreyHorse (Post 2783770)

Canada actually ranks second,behind the States,in regards to number of tornadoes,although our numbers are much lower than the U.S.
I've seen a few;actually got caught in one a number of years ago,it was just a small one that stayed on the ground for only about 1/2 mile (caused some damage to a few farms,but nothing too major),but let me tell you,what a terrifying experience! I now always watch the sky like a hawk whenever the storms roll in.Can't imagine having to deal with the monsters they get down south..
We get lots of funnel clouds (mainly cold air funnels),which are pretty harmless as long as they don't touch down.Now,those are cool to watch! Two years ago we had a storm that hung just at the edge of our farm,we counted almost two dozen different funnels drop out of that system,it was amazing to watch!