The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pregnant Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pregnant-mare-21222/)

barrels91 01-20-2009 09:58 PM

Pregnant Mare

A mare I'm about to buy may be pregnant. Is there a shot that a vet can give her to make her abort the foal if she is pregnant?

Spastic_Dove 01-20-2009 10:04 PM

I think there is, but I'm not sure exactly what it is called and I think a vet would probably want a good reason to abort a healthy foal.

Why do you want to abort it?

Britt 01-20-2009 10:10 PM

There's something a vet can give a horse to make it abort the foal, and IMO, it's really not the vet's position to ask for a good reason to make a mare abort, and a vet shouldn't say 'no' just because there's not a good reason. It's the horse-owners rights. Though I think that after a certain amount of time, a certain amount of months, it wouldn't be in a mares best interests health-wise to forseher to abort... but I may be wrong, I dunno...

Spastic_Dove 01-20-2009 10:12 PM

It's not a vet's decisions. But I know of a few who would probably refuse it, mostly because half the time owners ask for it it is decently far into the pregnancy.

barrels91 01-20-2009 10:15 PM

Well, the current owners aren't sure if she is really pregnant or just fat. Kinda irresponsible if you ask me. But this mare is only 4. I already have two horses of my own and I have never raised a foal before. I think it's be best for her if she had the foal aborted seeing her as so young and me as being inexperienced.

Spastic_Dove 01-20-2009 10:16 PM

I would have a vet out to check for pregnancy as soon as you could because like already mentioned, it gets risky past a certain period.

barrels91 01-20-2009 10:20 PM

Yeah. We are taking her in Thursday to get her preg. checked. I hope she is either not pregnant or not too far in yet to get an abortion.

peace love and paints 01-20-2009 11:09 PM

how old is this mare?? i have a 3 year old mare that is in foal for spring. i bought her already bred i think thats a little young but hopefully everything will be fine.

MysterySparrow 01-20-2009 11:11 PM

The only reason a vet should refuse to abort the foal is if the mare is too far along. What the shot they give does is basically induce labor, but at a certain point in the pregnancy, you stand a much larger risk of loosing the mare than you do of her simply aborting. I would have the mare preg checked and then consult with the vet about the best course of action from there.