The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   4 year old Thoroughbred Mare critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/4-year-old-thoroughbred-mare-critique-212226/)

laurenlewis24 06-12-2013 07:25 PM

4 year old Thoroughbred Mare critique

5 Attachment(s)
I am looking at this mare for sale. She is 4 years old and 16.1 hands. I want her for hunter jumpers. Give me your opinions.
Attachment 210642

Attachment 210650

Attachment 210658

Attachment 210666

Attachment 210674

Weezilla 06-12-2013 08:27 PM

Her pasterns are quite long and she's a bit tied in at the knees; those weaknesses might be a problem for a H/J project. Otherwise conformationally she's nicely balanced and uphill with a large though rather upright shoulder, nice neck set, lovely head, and a well-built hind end.

Under saddle, she seems very rideable and willing, and is being ridden forward though at too quick a tempo. She has a good grasp of stretching her topline, and this plus the nice forward riding makes me as a DQ very happy:-) The upright shoulder to me is mitigated by the energetic action of her hind end. She is very well-started-that is an impressive working trot and canter! She could easily win at Training Level dressage right now. It isn't every day that you find a young horse so correctly started, and that's huge.

I do see some head bobs at trot but am thinking that the footing may be uneven and that she, at her level of training, is leaning some on the bit for balance at times--lots of transitions up and down will help teach her more balance and will steady her tempo, and it is entirely normal.

Overall, I really like her a lot:clap::thumbsup:

Though I await the venerable Elana's opinion, since I almost always agree with her:mrgreen:

Elana 06-13-2013 09:48 AM

Agree with Weezilla. REALLY look at her feet. She may be thin soled.

You will likely need a custom fit saddle with those withers.

laurenlewis24 06-13-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 2788922)
Agree with Weezilla. REALLY look at her feet. She may be thin soled.

You will likely need a custom fit saddle with those withers.

I was worried about saddle fit too. I asked the lady if she had any problems and she said both of her medium tree saddles fit her just fine.

Also about the thin soles...how can you tell?

Weezilla 06-13-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 2788922)
Agree with Weezilla.

Is it gauche to feel so :happydance: about this?? :-)

mudpie 06-13-2013 02:11 PM

It probably doesn't need to be said, but just make sure you get a pre-purchase exam before you... purchase her. xD

tinyliny 06-13-2013 02:23 PM

no. Weezilla. If Elana agrees with me on a confo critique I feel like I've won the lottery.

Elana 06-13-2013 02:26 PM

Hopefully you can see her barefoot. That will help. Talk to the vet about your concerns with her having thin soled, Thoroughbred feet. No foot, no horse. In the PPE you can have the vet look at this. You can also add a farrier exam. Hoof testers often can tell. The horse won't be lame but may wince with hoof testers.

With jumping you need good feet. Thin soled horses often require pads. Pads require shoes. Shoes especially with pads require adequate hoof wall and if the horse is thin soled, there usually is a thin hoof wall as well.

The reason I mention this is her trotting. She almost looks like she might ouch here and there.. like she is stepping on a stone or something and feels it. NOT lame.. just sensitive.

Elana 06-13-2013 02:27 PM

Geeze guys. It is only photos..... Horse Conformation Opinions based on photos are pretty unreliable.. and advice is worth what you pay... and this is a free forum LOL