The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Info needed on driving horse shows! (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/info-needed-driving-horse-shows-212282/)

Horselover03 06-12-2013 07:17 PM

Info needed on driving horse shows!

I Have been around horses my entire life and have been driving horses for around 8 years. I have three morgan mares that I would really like to take to a show in the next year or so. I have worked with them and would say that they are green broke to cart, and they are very calm and quiet, pretty much a dream to train! I know that I should just find a coach or something but where I am located there really is no one that can come to my barn or anywhere for me to go. I am really just wanting some advice on what kind of bits are appropriate for the driving classes. I would only start in the morgan pleasure driving classes and work my way up. I have a old refinished doctors buggy at home but I feel that this might not be the right cart to use to show pleasure in. I would also like to know the appropriate attire and harness to use (whip as well). I have knowledge on all these things when it comes to being at home and what to do there but I have no idea what the expectations are in a show setting. If anyone has an tips or web sites or generally any information at all I would be extremely grateful along with all this haha I would take any information at all on morgan horse showing or if there is a book I can read thank you again!

greentree 06-13-2013 07:32 AM

You will need to read the rules from AMHA. They will specify which type of cart you need, and what gaits are expected. The only breed show driving classes I have had experience with call for a two-wheeled show cart, and the Morgan/Arabian/Saddlebred, etc, are usually VERY fancy, with their heads checked up high, in fine harness.

The class description will say "carriage pleasure driving" if it means the type of driving it sounds like you want to show. At least in the Arabian rules, anyway.

Good Luck! We would LOVE to see some pictures!!

nancy

franknbeans 06-13-2013 08:26 AM

If you google Morgan pleasure driving you will see what I am used to seeing at the Morgan shows.......in case the image I am trying to post does not show up.http://www.windenhill.com/images/sha...i-HD2010sm.jpg

I certainly am far from an authority on either driving or Morgans. My knowledge is strictly from watching my brother, his daughter and granddaughter show their world champion mare. I can tell you he has that 2 wheeled cart with the bag in front......tail dragging (to me) dangerously close to wheels.......

Horselover03 06-13-2013 08:42 AM

Thank you very much for all the help! I guess another question would be do any of you know where you can watch a video on somehting to show you the difference between a park gait, a collected trot, and a working trot. I think I have the idea it would just help to supplement it!

franknbeans 06-13-2013 08:47 AM

If you go to youtube and search for Morgan pleasure driving, you should find something to help you. Good luck!

WHere are you in Canada?

Horselover03 06-13-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2788906)
If you go to youtube and search for Morgan pleasure driving, you should find something to help you. Good luck!

WHere are you in Canada?

I live in ontario, not much driving goes on up here haha! I wish I could find a spot even in NY state that was looking for some help just so I could learn some more before I do anything! :D

Taffy Clayton 06-13-2013 09:26 AM

You can try going to carriage driving classifieds on facebook, joining the group and posting there to ask if there are any instructors, driving clubs, or even someone to help you get started in your area.

Horselover03 06-13-2013 09:34 AM

Thank you I have been in that group for awhile more than anything its a bad thing I see way to many things that I do not need lol!

franknbeans 06-13-2013 09:36 AM

I am pretty sure there are places in the Buffalo area, Which is why I asked. I will have to ask my niece if that is doable for you. I know my brother gets driving lessons in the Buffalo area, but they use their own horse. Not sure without your own being there. I know that also do training, so it may be part of that.

franknbeans 06-13-2013 09:38 AM

Try contacting these folks. Probably your best resource for info in NY.
Welcome to the home of the New York State Morgan Horse Society