The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   breed prejudice in the show ring (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/breed-prejudice-show-ring-212394/)

Kamakazi 06-12-2013 10:20 PM

breed prejudice in the show ring

Just out of curiosity have any of you experience breed prejudice in the show ring?

I've always shown arabs and have had it happen to me a few times. I mostly show western (once in awhile some english thrown in). Most people in my state/area ride paints or quarter horses, I've always been kind of the oddball out.

I literally had a judge turn his back on me during my pattern. My dad noticed he was talking to someone behind him and went up and asked him why he wasn't watching the rider. The judge said, "It's an arab, I already know how it's going to place." My dad got mad and told him to turn around and watch. They made me start my pattern over after this and ended up getting 2nd in the class and placed a lot higher in the rest of my classes for the day than I had been before that.

Anyone else experience this at all?

waresbear 06-12-2013 10:33 PM

Of course, all the time, those judges start to get known for which breed that they don't like and entries at those shows decline. Through the years I have seen less & less bad judging to keep entries up. Show organizers finally wised up.

gigem88 06-13-2013 07:39 AM

Sure do, luckily at our open shows they have classes specifically for Arabs and saddle type horses! Sometimes I think judges don't like Arabs and sometimes I think they're just ignorant about Arabs. Either way, the open shows are just a stepping stone to the breed shows. Plus, the showers are all fun people to spend the day with.

Joe4d 06-13-2013 08:29 AM

any judged event or sport is going to be full of arbitrary scores. I wouldnt sweat it , if you enjoy showing just do what you like and for your own pleasure. Dont worry about scores. If you are worried about scores (nothing wrong with that I am sure am) then get involved with a non arbitrary event. Like barrels, endurance, or some other black/white, non judged sport.

Kamakazi 06-13-2013 04:12 PM

I've been showing for 18 years, I know it's inevitable. The only annoying thing with it is because I live in such a stock-horse dominated area, there are no Arabian breed shows sadly. I wish.
I also do all types of competition, I'm big into endurance rides (more so than showing now) and used to rodeo quite a bit.
Have any of you experienced it with any breeds other than arabs?

oh vair oh 06-13-2013 04:24 PM

Haha, try taking a stock horse to a show with an arab judge. We know how you feel!

Critter sitter 06-13-2013 04:42 PM

Oh vair Oh I bet that Rairly happens

oh vair oh 06-13-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critter sitter (Post 2792946)
Oh vair Oh I bet that Rairly happens

It doesn't? How many times have I heard "Oh that stock horse is obviously drugged" or "oh that stock horse is going slow because it's lame" or "oh that stock horse's head is so low it must be abused". All the time. Usually arab or gaited or non-carded judges. I won't get looked at, but I like the practice.

jaydee 06-13-2013 05:21 PM

There was a time in the UK that if you took a coloured horse into a show ring (paint,pinto etc) you'd be scorned and totally ignored - it was even considered to be a real No No to take one hunting and then in the early 80's it all turned around and they became the 'must have' and a third rate coloured would make more money and get higher placed in some shows than a better plain colour

busysmurf 06-13-2013 05:49 PM

Happens all the time to all the breeds. In the 80's around here no one even considered showing an arab at an open or 4-H show. The nearest breed show was 2 hrs away. Then in the early 90's they were the breed to have. Now they aren't the most common, butthetthey aaren't rare either.

I have a buckskin QH. I was excused from a registered QH class unless I had his AQHA papers on me in the class. Because "buckskins" are a color breed. Not a full AQHA.

The latest trend around here is the dressage outfitted riders are placing higher than HUS outfitted riders.

Everything goes in spurts.
Posted via Mobile Device