The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   For Canadian Horse Owners *important petition* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/canadian-horse-owners-%2Aimportant-petition%2A-212498/)

c99 06-13-2013 03:23 AM

For Canadian Horse Owners *important petition*

The Equine Right To A Quality Life movement (www.equineright.com) started an important petition for Canadians who are members of provincial horse councils/federations/Equine Canada.

More information and Petition Link:
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...rity-of-choice

This will help horse rescues and horses too. Pls post to Facebook, friends & share share share!:D

usandpets 06-13-2013 03:50 AM

Said to say but most on here are not anti-slaughter. We feel it is a necessary evil. I'm not speaking for all that are on here but you won't find much support.

It is sad that their lives have to end that way. However, slaughter is not the problem. It is the over population of horses or over abundance of them. The economy doesn't help either. People can't afford to care for them any more. Rescues are over full with unwanted horses. If breeding could be regulated, slaughter would become unnecessary.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 06-13-2013 05:14 AM

I don't find horses for human consumption 'repulsive and unacceptable'. I don't think cows or pigs for human consumption is wrong, and feel it would be hypocrtical for me to change my mind for one type of live stock and not another. I think slaughter is a necessary 'evil' and even then it certainly isn't something I think deserves the title 'evil'. What DOES deserve that title is the unfortunate fact that there are horses now a day been neglected and starved to death because nobody wants them or can afford to care for them, when those animals could be sent to slaughter and have that suffering end. No, it isn't ideal, yes the system could use some changes but I am for the humane slaughter of livestock for a purpose, and don't think my opinion should change because I love horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 06-13-2013 08:33 AM

Alex, well said, yould probably cut and paste and mail that to your canadian reps. To give them th eother side of the issue. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and the short sighted bleeding hearts that dont use logic or see the big picture are doing all the squeaking.

Saddlebag 06-13-2013 08:57 AM

I'm surprised at what has been proposed because the norm is that Canadians don't oppose slaughter. I think they do oppose horses raised for slaughter but most realize there has to be a realistic end of life. Oh, there are always a few bleeding hearts. When blanket statements are made opposing slaughter have you noticed that they never include a solution? It is cruel to keep a crippled horse alive and not everyone has the land to bury the animal. My feeling is that those who oppose slaughter should devote time, money and energy to help the rescues. They can always use more help and money. Right now I think the bigger is issue is how these horses are transported, in cattle liners. The weak fall down and get stepped on by other horses. With a lot of noise we could probably get that changed.

alexischristina 06-13-2013 12:35 PM

Thank you, Joe. Being on this forum has exposed me to the horse market across the border, and I think a big part of the reason the Canadian market hasn't suffered in the same way is the fact that there is an alternative. Most Canadians would be shocked to hear about the sheer number of horses being neglected because people can't afford to take care of them, and the fact that there isn't an 'easy' way out. It isn't reasonable to close down all slaughter, and unless this turns into a vegan / vegetarian country, I don't think they should :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Mama26kids 06-13-2013 01:32 PM

for slaughter supporters, is this okay?

quote from the website

"Horses are routinely hit and beaten with prods to force them into a steel chute where an employee stands with a captive bolt pistol (the captive bolt was designed for cattle not horses) aimed directly at the horse's face. As the shooter tries to aim the pistol at the horse's moving forehead (horses are highly intelligent and move their heads instinctively away), the shooter often misses, thereby causing injury to other parts of the face, retries multiple times, and while still alive, the horse is then moved out of the 'stun box' and a chain is placed around its back leg and the injured horse is hung breathing and alive upsidedown by its one leg."

I think most people would be appalled by this, and for meat eaters, do you really want to eat something that has died in that manner? read about adrenaline being released into the animals system when it dies under stress, just like hormones, chemicals etc, that gets absorbed into the human system when they eat that meat.

usandpets 06-13-2013 04:56 PM

Mama, do you really think cows, chickens, pigs and turkeys are slaughtered that humanely? People eat their meat without a second thought. Why? Because they don't get emotionally attached to the animal as we do to horses. That is the difference.

Of course horses weren't raised for meat but to do work for us. Neither were deer, elk, fish, and such but people still eat those. Again, no emotional attachment.
Posted via Mobile Device

kassierae 06-13-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama26kids (Post 2791386)
quote from the website

"Horses are routinely hit and beaten with prods to force them into a steel chute where an employee stands with a captive bolt pistol (the captive bolt was designed for cattle not horses) aimed directly at the horse's face. As the shooter tries to aim the pistol at the horse's moving forehead (horses are highly intelligent and move their heads instinctively away), the shooter often misses, thereby causing injury to other parts of the face, retries multiple times, and while still alive, the horse is then moved out of the 'stun box' and a chain is placed around its back leg and the injured horse is hung breathing and alive upsidedown by its one leg."

I think most people would be appalled by this, and for meat eaters, do you really want to eat something that has died in that manner? read about adrenaline being released into the animals system when it dies under stress, just like hormones, chemicals etc, that gets absorbed into the human system when they eat that meat.

The bolded part is so far off base it's not even funny. They do NOT aim the captive bolt(which IS an approved, HUMANE method of euthanasia) at the FACE. There is a proper spot to kill a horse with a gun or captive bolt, and most of the people hit it right on the mark. There are some misses, of course. But the suffering is ended quickly. They are also not hung alive, once an animal(or human, for that matter)is brain dead all following bodily functions(any "breathing", attempting to "whinny", leg movements, etc.) are all nerve reflexes. The animal is DEAD. It cannot feel any pain, emotional or physical.

I am ALL for humane slaughter. After the animal is gone, the body is just a shell. Might as well use what we can from it and not WASTE like we humans are so apt to do.

ponyboy 06-13-2013 06:55 PM

I thought this was all old news; it was all in the documentary that was made by the CBC a few years ago. Sadly just because the tools/methods used for slaughter are supposed to be humane doesn't mean it always works out that way. If the things they showed in that documentary are still going on, obviously oversight of the industry still needs to be improved. There is a perception out there that Canadians always do things the right/moral way and that's not true. The people in that video were breaking pretty much every food safety law, never mind animal welfare law.