The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Does anyone race a walker? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/does-anyone-race-walker-212730/)

BlackTWH 06-13-2013 02:30 PM

Does anyone race a walker?

My horse doesn't have a specialty and sense everyone around here does mostly contesting I figured why not train him to do that. That and he loves to run.

It would be mostly for recreation for the two of us and maybe entering a few open shows. I was just wondering if anyone had ever raced a gaited horse or should I just stick with trails?

morganarab94 06-13-2013 02:35 PM

I have never heard of racing a walker.....but there are gaited classes you could enter in an open show.
And not everyone on here does showing..I only do fun shows and local shows.

BlackTWH 06-13-2013 02:40 PM

I have seen videos of walkers racing on youtube. That's where I got the idea.

morganarab94 06-13-2013 03:31 PM

Oh ok. I've honestly never heard of it but I'm sure someone else on here could give you some more insight!

Dustbunny 06-13-2013 04:23 PM

First thing is to make sure he is reliable and responding to what you ask of him. I know you were concerned about having him safe for your siblings to ride so I would work to that point before I ever considered any type of speed events.
It might be fun to think about but could be a disaster if he is not well broke before moving on to something else.
One step at a time... : )

Phly 06-13-2013 07:39 PM

I've seen walkers at shows. They have done well, but never 1D.
Most actually turn ok, but don't have the burst between barrels. And don't tend to really streach out coming home.
For fun, I say go for it! Just another skill for you both.
For money, I'd say not so much.

As dust bunny mentioned, start with a solid riding horse first and foremost, or ya may end up with a "barrel horse" that ya always hear about that makes folks cringe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Casey02 06-13-2013 08:48 PM

have you seen this video?

I agree with what was mentioned above. Fun shows, probably. Win money? Probably not so much

BlackTWH 06-13-2013 10:22 PM

Thanks guys and yes that video is awesome :) The reason I am asking is because I want a trainer to help me with the basics and if I decide to barrel race in the future I figured I might as well hire a trainer who can help me with that later. First and foremost is developing him into the best and most responsive horse he can be. But for fun I was wanting to either jump him or race him and so I figured that decision for later would help me decide on who I want helping me now. He definitely needs more time and work at basics first! I am in no rush just excited about his potential :)