The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Any hope for a broken tree? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/any-hope-broken-tree-212770/)

prettypony 06-13-2013 02:15 PM

Any hope for a broken tree?

I'm pretty sure the tree in my australian saddle is cracked. Basic tree tests have it moving, and if I run my hand under the panels I can definitely feel the crack. I have no idea what happened or when it happened. Pretty bummed out as I love this saddle and don't have another saddle to ride in. Or the money to buy a new saddle right now.
I am trying to find a professional saddle maker to have a look at it. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience getting a tree fixed or replaced. I would lovelovelove to keep this saddle, the leather is in otherwise great condition, and it has fit me and my horse well up to this point. I'm not sure whether it is a wood or fibreglass tree.
If anyone has had any success stories with getting trees repaired/replaced I'd love to hear them, and any recommendations for saddlers in the BC area.
Also, costwise I only paid $600 for the saddle brand new with all the fittings, so I think I'd be willing to put in roughly what I'd have to pay for a new saddle to fix it if anyone has ballpark numbers.

trailwalker 06-13-2013 02:48 PM

Unfortunately it will most likely cost you almost as much to have your saddle fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

busysmurf 06-13-2013 03:07 PM

I just had to give the same news to my hubby. The saddle that he loves because it has his butt print in it is broken. He's asked everywhere, even a custom saddle maker that we know.

The cost to repair the tree is more than the saddle is worth (his saddle is also worth around $500).

Saddlebag 06-13-2013 07:59 PM

Busy, I'm curious as to the type of saddle and if you know what the tree is made of? Thanks

busysmurf 06-13-2013 09:20 PM

I know it's a Crosby and he bought it at least 18 yrs ago, if not more. He used it for x-country. Other than the tree, I'd consider it in pretty good shape. That's all I know off the top of my head.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 06-13-2013 09:48 PM

Unfortunately, saddles that are priced at low/mid-quality ($1000 and under), it's easier just to buy a new one if you end up with a broken tree because it costs a lot to have a tree replaced. They basically have to take everything off, replace the tree, and put everything back on. It's almost on par with making a whole new saddle. Every saddle I've ever had with a broken tree, I'd salvage any parts that I could get off and possibly use again, then I'd just junk it or sell it as a decoration.

prettypony 06-27-2013 11:37 AM

Update:

Talked to someone down in the states who said they could replace the tree and reflock it for $300, which I would be totally willing to pay. Of course shipping it down there might cost me just as much.
I did find someone local who is A) willing to take it apart for me for 50 bucks to see exactly whats wrong and B) has actually repaired aussies before. She also quoted me about $350, IF she could find the same size tree to replace it with. She did also think it could be the type of tree with metal bits in it, and if that was the case, might be able to just weld them back on, or whatever.
So yay! I'll find out in about a month whether its salvageable or not.

In the meantime I found someone selling a Passier dressage for about $500. Going to take a look at it sometime soon hopefully. I emailed Passier the serial number, so hoping they get back to me soon, as the seller has no info about the saddle (mum selling it for her daughter).

I'm feeling a little saddle-shopping therapy coming on!

Viranh 06-27-2013 12:04 PM

I've ridden several old Passiers, and think they're great saddles. I'd just buy that if it's a fit for you and your horse. Just my two cents.

prettypony 06-27-2013 12:09 PM

I've wanted a dressage saddle anyways for quite sometime. If I ever get the chance to actually take lessons I would love to do dressage. But I do love trail riding, so if there is any chance of fixing my aussie, I'd love to keep it on as trail saddle, as it affords way more security. I figure by the time the saddler figures out whether its fixable I'll be able to save, beg, borrow or win the lottery enough to have 2 saddles. ;P

Viranh 06-27-2013 12:47 PM

I trail ride in a dressage saddle all the time. It's not the best for it, but it's certainly doable. It's the only saddle that fits the pony mare. As long as it fits you and your horse, it's more comfortable than you'd expect.