The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Spurs and Sitting Trot? Advice Please! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/spurs-sitting-trot-advice-please-21296/)

Equuestriaan 01-22-2009 12:28 PM

Spurs and Sitting Trot? Advice Please!

Hey all!

Yesterday my instructor told me I should use spurs on Dakota. Apparently a crop doesn't look good in shows. I have never worn spurs before and I actually have no clue what to look for when I go to buy a pair. So below is a list of questions I have... if you could answer any of them it would be much appreciated!

Do they come in sizes?
How do they attach?
Do they fit on any boot?
Are they okay for wearing when I am grooming and stuff, or should I only put them on right before I get on?
Are there different types?
Any specific type I should be looking at?
Any specific type I definitely don't want?
How would I ride differently with spurs... would I be able to kick still?
Anything else to keep in mind?

Thanks so much in advance. =)

Also, completely off topic, but I need some tips on how I should be sitting the trot. In my lesson yesterday I was trying to do a sitting trot and I was bouncing all over the place! Anybody know any secrets that might help me be more still in the saddle?

Spastic_Dove 01-22-2009 12:33 PM

You ride western, right?
I don't think they come in differant sizes, but i could be wrong. they attach with a strap that goes under the heel over your boot. You can wear them grooming and walking around or whatever. there are differant types but most of the types I see in english are he blunt ended spurs. I don't like big rowls.

When you ride with spurs, you use it as an aide. I wouldn't kick with the spur, but that's just me. I use it by rolling the spur along the horses side after the other aides havent worked or to be more clear to the horse.

Sitting Trot: Have you tried bareback?

Spastic_Dove 01-22-2009 12:35 PM

http://www.tackroominc.com/images/VeronaSpurStraps.jpgHow they attach
http://www.flyingchanges.com.au/medi...es/SPS0650.JPG
blunt end spur

blossom856 01-22-2009 01:42 PM

The only sizes I've seen spurs come in is mens, womens and childrens.

Get blunt ends and try not to get them longer than 1/2 an inch. I think anything longer than that doesn't look very good, plus they're harsher.

If you're showing you need leather straps to attach them. But go with nylon for schooling. Those are less of a pain to deal with. Or if you're in a pinch bailing twine works just great!:grin:

free_sprtd 01-22-2009 02:01 PM

Sitting trot works well if you just keep sitting on your pockets deep in the saddle. I find that I also work my hips and thighs a bit more in order to keep my leg position when I'm sitting the trot. Sorry if that's not the correct way, that's just how ive been told to do it :)

Equuestriaan 01-22-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 235927)
You ride western, right?
I don't think they come in differant sizes, but i could be wrong. they attach with a strap that goes under the heel over your boot. You can wear them grooming and walking around or whatever. there are differant types but most of the types I see in english are he blunt ended spurs. I don't like big rowls.

When you ride with spurs, you use it as an aide. I wouldn't kick with the spur, but that's just me. I use it by rolling the spur along the horses side after the other aides havent worked or to be more clear to the horse.

Sitting Trot: Have you tried bareback?

Thanks for the information and pictures! I ride English. As for the sitting trot, I haven't gone bareback in years but I have found when I drop my stirrups it's a lot easier to sit, so maybe it has something to do with how I am putting my weight in my heels in the stirrups.

Equuestriaan 01-22-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blossom856 (Post 235986)
The only sizes I've seen spurs come in is mens, womens and childrens.

Get blunt ends and try not to get them longer than 1/2 an inch. I think anything longer than that doesn't look very good, plus they're harsher.

If you're showing you need leather straps to attach them. But go with nylon for schooling. Those are less of a pain to deal with. Or if you're in a pinch bailing twine works just great!:grin:

Awesome. Do you buy the straps separately from the spurs or do you need a certain strap to go with a certain stirrup?

Spastic_Dove 01-22-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equuestriaan (Post 236019)
Thanks for the information and pictures! I ride English. As for the sitting trot, I haven't gone bareback in years but I have found when I drop my stirrups it's a lot easier to sit, so maybe it has something to do with how I am putting my weight in my heels in the stirrups.

Could be. Maybe have an instructor watch you and they can offer some advice or post something on here and I'm sure someone could offer some suggestions.

fozzie 01-22-2009 03:52 PM

In sitting trot, if you drop your stirrups and you can do it better than with stirrups, it could be possible that your stirrups are a tad too short. try lowering them 1 hole and really push your weight down onto your bottom through to your heels, allow your knees to fall away for the saddle, by opening your hips and letting your lower leg come into contact with the horses sides. By maintaining contact with the lower leg you may not need the use for spurs.

smrobs 01-22-2009 04:03 PM

I ride western but I will try to help. When I sit a trot, I make sure that I don't have any more weight on my feet then necessary to keep them in the stirrups, it is harder for me to ride with weight on my feet. When I have spurs on, I never kick. I will use my calf for the initial signal and if they don't respond, then I press the spur into their side with the slightest pressure needed. If you kick with them or use too much pressure, your horse will start wringing their tail any time you give a cue.