The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Clipping? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/clipping-21299/)

chelssss(: 01-22-2009 03:39 PM

Clipping?

I was wondering what everyones opinion is on clipping.
I've never clipped a horse but i'd like to start clipping my thoroughbred this season.

Any tips for me?
Prices on clippers, anything really.

My Beau 01-22-2009 04:40 PM

Good body clipping clippers will run you upwards of $150 at least.
I've never clipped my horse, but I've clipped ponies before. My advice: Practice... but not before a show :]

chelssss(: 01-22-2009 04:49 PM

Yeah i was gonna practice, me and my trainer want to clip a couple of our show ponies and we have a little minature that we can practice on haha. since she doesnt show. she's just a hack aruond lesson pony.

what all do i need to know? like i know theres types of clippings, but exactly what are their purposes for each?
which one should i do?

upnover 01-22-2009 07:20 PM

Are you talking a full body clip? that definitely takes a lot of practice! And even more practice to do it well. But it isn't hard to learn to clip ears/whiskers/legs. -assuming your horse is ok with it. I'd start from there. That's usually all I do for shows unless it's the dead of winter and I'm going to an A show with a woolly mammoth.

appylover31803 01-22-2009 07:43 PM

I used this website when I was deciding what clip to do on my horse. Though I never actually went through with it.
Peasridge Clipper Advice - Clipping Advice - Horses

I like the explanations they give you too.

chelssss(: 01-22-2009 09:28 PM

Okay thanks everyone. I dont want to do a full body clip. My horse is good with clippers. he tries to eat em haha. i'll check out the website and see. hopefully i can try and buy a pair of clippers.