The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   I fell off today!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/i-fell-off-today-21312/)

heartscontent 01-22-2009 08:14 PM

I fell off today!!

I was riding bareback and it was going fine until I tried to walk my horse over a pole and his foot got stuck in it and he just kind of freaked(nothing too bad) so I just kind of slid off way to the side so I wouldn't crash into the poles and had a good fall. I had my helmet on and fell kind of gently. I'm not sore or anything and I got back on. I even sat a spook out in the field where we were riding today. I'm going to lunge my horse over poles he he's not afraid of hitting them. Otherwise my balance is better bareback and it's so much fun. We just started doing bareback a week ago or something.

smrobs 01-22-2009 08:25 PM

Congrats. It is no fun to fall off but if it must happen, then at least it was an easy one. I was riding my horse along the bar ditch (beside the road) in the middle of the night. We were just loping along when the wind came up and a trash bag caught in the wire of the fence to our right flapped right in his face. He is normally not spooky about things like that but it startled him. He jumped to the side and I didn't. Landed flat on my back in a sticker patch. LOL not fun. Welcome to the "Yes, I fell off" club. LOL

NorthernMama 01-22-2009 11:07 PM

You know it's amazing how we all "fear" falling off, but most of the time, it's more like a "sliding off" and hardly ever, thankfully, is as bad as we worry about.

Loosewolf 01-23-2009 12:23 AM

The gravity club membership...

I too, am a full bruise/stitch carrying member of "gravity always wins" club..
The only exception is, I haven't "fell off" I am usually (the few times it has happened) tossed far and hard like a bad habit...I still have most of my original face, thanks to helmet technology....better living through plastics!

So, I pray for a good long break (poor choice of wording there) as my new partner is 17+hands...Loong way down.....

"gravity cannot be denied ...only postponed"

HayburnerHeights 01-24-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loosewolf (Post 236399)
I too, am a full bruise/stitch carrying member of "gravity always wins" club..
The only exception is, I haven't "fell off" I am usually (the few times it has happened) tossed far and hard like a bad habit...I still have most of my original face, thanks to helmet technology....better living through plastics!

So, I pray for a good long break (poor choice of wording there) as my new partner is 17+hands...Loong way down.....

"gravity cannot be denied ...only postponed"

You sound like me! LOL

Last time I was tossed I broke 3 bones in my back! My horse bolted up the hill, I had her head pulled into my left foot and she was still going full bore and I ended up coming off. If felt like she was bucking but I really think its because I was trying to pull her up and she got so rough/bouncy that I ended up on the ground. :oops:

Luckily they were only the "spurs" on the spine. Laid me up for a few weeks.

SuspiciousInnocence 01-24-2009 05:23 PM

LMAO Loosewolf..

I havnt had a bad fall yet. the worst was after I had burnt my leg on an exhaust pipe of a car and on my way to the ground the ponies hoof hit the burn. That hurt, but it wouldnt have been bad had the burn not been there... So it wasnt a bad fall. Just a bad burn. =P

But yea,, Falling can be fun!!! LMAO when you land on your feet or on something soft and its like ahhhhh. :)

Loosewolf 01-24-2009 06:00 PM

Feet...

Well, I can appreciate that landing on one's own feet is a definite plus, however I have never been that fortunate..
Mine are always painful drama, you know the type where veteran trainers and BO's are running up on you asking "talk to me!!" , the type where you regain your head and realize, you have a handful of mane, but no Horse... So, I wish my feet were smarter or in better position that my *SS...fortunately, I have a little extra "padding" in the rear, or I would appear very flat from behind

"Isaac Newton probably never rode a Horse.." Lw