The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse Talk for people over 50 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-talk-people-over-50-a-213370/)

SouthernTrails 06-14-2013 05:48 PM

Horse Talk for people over 50

The 30's have their group, the 40's have their group, well maybe the 50's need a group :lol::lol:

So I will start....

Is the ground Harder today than it was 30 years ago?

Last time I took a spill, I think it is :wink:

walkinthewalk 06-14-2013 06:11 PM

Oh Happy Happy Day:clap::clap:

I no longer think my 5'2" self should be riding a 16.1H horse, even though there's one in the pasture.

The 14.3H fella is a lot closer to the ground. Hopefully I will feel a lot less pain by the time I land and can get up without help:-(

bsms 06-14-2013 06:52 PM

My 15.2 mare is making me think the 13.0 mustang looks good. But after several years of riding 3 times/year whether she needs to or not, my wife lost her job and has now ridden 6 times in the last 10 days - all on the little mustang. 13 hands, a calm mind and sure feet: A good horse for my 55 year old wife to get back into riding on. And to forget about losing her job...:-(

On a good note, sort of...my spooky Arabian mare finally ran into some cactus:

She kicked it a couple of times, fast, breaking off several sections and getting spines across about 2 feet of hind leg, then jumped forward. I gave a couple of bumps with the reins, she stopped (:D) and spun 270 in the area with the arrow...and stopped completely. Once her back relaxed, I dismounted, led her to a better spot, and used a pair of folding pliers to remove the big spines.

But I stayed on, she mostly obeyed the habit of the last 6 months of making 'stops' a high interest item, and I didn't end up needing my passport 60 miles later as she bolted south into Mexico. For a mare that was doing the "OMG Crouch" every 10 minutes 6 months ago, that is a big improvement! Although she was still feeling a bit tense 20 minutes later, when the threat had changed from cactus to a huge moving van with rumbling sounds in its belly.

And yes, I often put one hand on the horn. I've used two hands on the reins for so long that it feels unnatural to put one hand on my thigh. Or maybe that is a cheap excuse, and my 55 year old body is afraid of slamming into pavement...:oops:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...861b1_full.jpg

A more relaxed moment, before the cactus and rumbling moving van...and she finished the day's ride looking like that, too:

waresbear 06-14-2013 07:14 PM

It rocks to be over 50, my riding is the best it's ever been, I have way more disposible income to indulge on my horsey pursuits, and I have more knowledge gleaned through the years. What else could I say, being old sucks, you have to look on the bright side, lol. Oh, almost forgot the best thing is.....having grandkids!!!!!!
http://www.horseforum.com/attachment...y-show-015.jpg

chinoerika 06-14-2013 07:26 PM

BSMS from your pictures it looks as if your in Az. Retired here in Panama Central America from Prescott Az. slider....

bsms 06-14-2013 07:32 PM

Yep, a bit south of Tucson, maybe 60 miles north of Mexico. Love it. The next time the moon is full, my daughter & I want to try starting a ride at sundown. Regardless of the temperature, it feels cooler when the sun isn't beating down.

How is Panama? Is it horse friendly there?

Celeste 06-14-2013 08:20 PM

If we post on this thread do we have to admit that we are over 50?

bsms 06-14-2013 08:27 PM

I don't mind admitting it. I enjoy life more after 50 than I did before. I just wish my body would recover as fast as it did when it was 20...I'm a bit worried it will all be downhill from here!

outnabout 06-14-2013 10:09 PM

Checking in, ha ha ha! I couldn't keep up with over 40 thread, you guys are probably going to be even more active LOL
50's are the best! Sure does beat the 40's. 30's were fun, 20's were weird.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-14-2013 10:54 PM

Oooooooyyyyyy, am I really writing in the over 50 column??? YIKES, I guess I am. Well, that says something, considering my wild youth, I didn't think I'd make it this long!