The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   what is the worst boarding facility you've seen? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/what-worst-boarding-facility-youve-seen-21338/)

babyruth1984 01-23-2009 11:45 AM

what is the worst boarding facility you've seen?

When I first started looking at stables I went to this one that was about 20 minutes away. On the phone the lady made it sound like paradise, got there and that was a different story. She had 12 acres of land, but they use their neighbores for trails. On that 12 acres only 3 maybe four was actually for the horses. On those 3-4 acres she had at least 15 horses on her property. The horses had no grazing, the "pastures" were no bigger than say a padock area and in those pastures she had at least 3 horses in each. She started talking about thrush before she even took me to the pastures, that was the first red flag. Then I saw where she was keeping the horses. There were 5 pastures and none of them had any grass, it was all mud and poop. Then she showed me where she would keep my horse. It was a small area just alittle bigger than a round pen!!! I still can not to this day understand why anyone would keep their horses there. It was $250 and just pasture board. There were more stables around the area where pasture board was alot cheaper than that, I just don't get it.

My Beau 01-23-2009 10:40 PM

People are crazy....

I know of a farm about 45 minutes north of where I live... their indoors doesn't have a roof because it was blown off in a storm. The horse's have paddocks like you described and there are a bunch of 3 legged goats because the lady's dogs mess with them. It sounds really sad, I've never been their personally but I've heard the same account from a lot of different people.

Oh, and when the horses don't cooperate when her "trainers" are on them, apparently she puts them in a field and shoots them with a paintball gun. I don't know how true this is, but I've heard it from 2 people. I'm skeptical...

Miss Katie 01-23-2009 10:42 PM

Holy crap! Excuse the language but what does she expect to achieve by that?

CobbleStep 01-23-2009 10:42 PM

Oh, good question. There was this one place- it was way overpriced... and the barn was huge, and beautiful... but there was no outdoor space. It was crowded, and charged extra money to use one of the three constantly used corrals for lunging. It drove me crazy.
__________________________________________________ __________
Everything Horsey
(Under Construction)

Jubilee Rose 01-24-2009 12:29 PM

Hey guys,
Just wanted to remind everyone not to mention names, numbers, addresses, etc. of the barns you are describing. This could become pretty icky if one member so happens to describe another member's barn by accident. Let's try to keep these barns anonymous. Thanks!