The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddle sizing for rider (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddle-sizing-rider-213442/)

howrsegirl123 06-14-2013 11:10 PM

English saddle sizing for rider

I'm slim, 5'9" with long legs. I have a 16.5" hunt seat saddle now but I am getting another one to fit me and my horse better. I ordered two M. Toulouse saddles to test ride-Celine and Annice-both a 17" seat-and I am seeing that the Celine's flap is about the length and width of mine now, which is still a bit too short, and the Annice's is way too short. I'm not sure if I should go with a bigger seat size, like a 17.5 (although I like the 17) or if I need a longer or more forward flap. The Toulouses come in long flaps-would that possibly work, or would I still need more? Right now my knees extend past the knee rolls, especially on the Annice. Any advice here?

howrsegirl123 06-14-2013 11:11 PM

Are there any Toulouse saddle models with that have a more forward or longer flap than the two I am looking at, or are they notorious for being short-flapped?

tinyliny 06-14-2013 11:15 PM

does it have to be a Toulouse?
you don't want your knee extending over the knee roll. I mean beyond it.

howrsegirl123 06-14-2013 11:21 PM

No, it doesn't have to be. I think they are beautiful saddles and from what I could feel from sitting on them on a saddle stand, very comfortable. But I am open to other options. If I could find a Toulouse that worked, great, if not, then fine. What else would you suggest?

tinyliny 06-14-2013 11:40 PM

I don't know. I don't ride hunt seat, but just was curious if you were limited on the brand. I have seen some Stubbens with a very forward flap.
Maybe some of the hunt seat riders will chime in.

MyBoyPuck 06-15-2013 10:24 PM

Your seat measurement is related to the length of your femur. Sitting in a chair with your leg perpendicular to the ground, measure from the back of your leg to the front of the knee. (straight with a ruler, not curved around your butt with a tape measure) I think it's 21" - 23" is a 17.5, 23"-25" is an 18, etc. I know I found it by googling saddle rider size or something like that. My leg also shoots over the flap on most saddles. If you can find a model with both a forward and long flap, that will get you most of the way there.