The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Dressage Girth Help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/dressage-girth-help-21375/)

melinda27858 01-23-2009 11:31 PM

Dressage Girth Help

I have a treeless saddle on order, and need to purchase a dressage girth. I am certain I want it lined in wool, but I am not sure if I want elastic on both ends. Elastic on one end girths are a lot cheaper, so my question is "is double elastic necessary?" What are your thoughts?

ohmyitschelle 01-24-2009 12:21 AM

if only one size is elastic im assuming it would create an uneveness. elastic at both ends makes more sense as you're doing it up evenly and not creating a pressure point on one side.
however i have never used an one ended elastic girth before so i have no experience with it.
x

~*~anebel~*~ 01-24-2009 02:54 PM

I prefer dressage girths with no elastic at all.
It really doesn't matter either way, it's all personal preference and if you prefer a lower price tag, then go for it! A girth over $100 is a waste of money, imo.

melinda27858 01-24-2009 07:19 PM

The one I am looking at is the Toklat Woolback dressage girth. I can get it with elastic on one side for $65 US or both sides for $85. I just don't know the importance of double elastic. I know that all of the English girths my trainer has are only elastic on one side.....AND all the western girths I have used have no elastic at all too! But if it is worth it to pay the extra $20, then I will do it.:?

~*~anebel~*~ 01-24-2009 07:24 PM

Generally, girths for hunt seat saddles are only going to have the elastic on one side. Dressage girths are made in more different styles. If is is only $20 more I would go for the double elastic just to keep the pressure the same in case it does have an effect.