The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse tricks! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-tricks-213762/)

BarrelRace4Life 06-15-2013 02:51 PM

Horse tricks!

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this thread, but lately I've been doing a little bit more liberty work with my horse, including teaching her some tricks!! So far I have successfully taught her how to count, kiss, say no, and we are currently working on the bow but she's in coming along fantastically with it! So far me and her both just love playing around with tricks like this, and she is picking them up very quickly. I plan on teaching her how to say yes, pick stuff up, smile, etc (just small ones). I was just wondering what other tricks should I try to teach her, or have you taught your horse and how! Also if anyone wants to know how I've taught these I can describe it!

aliliz 06-15-2013 07:25 PM

I've taught my mare some tricks too! When it's too hot or too cold to ride, I need to give her a job and keep her mind occupied :-) She picked up all her tricks super fast- they each took less than a week for her to learn

Liz does kisses, high fives (touches her nose to my hand), hugs to each side and down (nose to ground).

She loves doing her tricks! For hugs, she hugs then straightens out and then "comes back" for a second hug. I also make her do a few tricks in a row for a reward. For example, she'll have to go down, kiss, high five, kiss and down for one treat. For a while, she would only do tricks with a hand cue. Now, she'll do them all with just a verbal command.

I'm not sure what to teach Lizzie next, either! She's not mouthy and doesn't paw, so I don't want to encourage either of those behaviors. I don't want to teach her bow because she's old and arthritic and I think it would be too hard on her physically. I think I'll teach her yes and no this summer

BarrelRace4Life 06-15-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliliz (Post 2810658)
I've taught my mare some tricks too! When it's too hot or too cold to ride, I need to give her a job and keep her mind occupied :-) She picked up all her tricks super fast- they each took less than a week for her to learn

Liz does kisses, high fives (touches her nose to my hand), hugs to each side and down (nose to ground).

She loves doing her tricks! For hugs, she hugs then straightens out and then "comes back" for a second hug. I also make her do a few tricks in a row for a reward. For example, she'll have to go down, kiss, high five, kiss and down for one treat. For a while, she would only do tricks with a hand cue. Now, she'll do them all with just a verbal command.

I'm not sure what to teach Lizzie next, either! She's not mouthy and doesn't paw, so I don't want to encourage either of those behaviors. I don't want to teach her bow because she's old and arthritic and I think it would be too hard on her physically. I think I'll teach her yes and no this summer

Oh hug is a good one! I'll try to teach my mare that one next :) teach her no was really easy, I'm not sure yet how I want to start teaching yes though

TBforever 06-17-2013 09:12 AM

id love to teach miover tricks,,but i also dont want to create a trick that will turn to a bad habit lol

BarrelRace4Life 06-17-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBforever (Post 2822106)
id love to teach miover tricks,,but i also dont want to create a trick that will turn to a bad habit lol

I find that as long as you don't do it too often and show them that if you don't ask for it they shouldn't do it it's perfectly fine. For example, my horse will sometimes anticipate that I'm asking her to bow and will start to paw at the ground. when I she does I pick up her foot as if to ask for the bow, but I just stand there to show her that every time I pick up her foot doesn't mean I'm going to ask for it. Then when she stands calmly for a few seconds I will give her a treat. I have never had a problem with her doing the same thing when I'm trying to pick up her feet to clean them out though, so all good! I just always make sure I'm also teaching herwhen I want her to do the trick so she doesn't just try to do it all the time.

You could try teaching a small trick like kiss though! I don't think kiss is too harmful and doesn't cause any bad habits. My horse loves to do that one!

SlideStop 06-17-2013 01:59 PM

My friend taught her horse to line up at anything she is standing on for mounting. Then he will move over when she says "get closer". She taught him in the round pen though, no treat training.
Posted via Mobile Device

Freemare 06-17-2013 02:25 PM

My horse knows how to say yes, No, shakes, and says hello. I am working on bowing, laying down, drinking from a bottle.

BarrelRace4Life 06-17-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freemare (Post 2824298)
My horse knows how to say yes, No, shakes, and says hello. I am working on bowing, laying down, drinking from a bottle.

How did you teach yes? I started working on it today, but at first wasn't really sure how to go about it..

TBforever 06-19-2013 08:05 AM

one of the agisters where i use to live, there horse duke, they taught to, shake, count to 5, kiss

the shake one ended up being dangerous, as everytime u did his jacket up he assumed u wanted him to shake, and u end up with hoof around ur neck,