The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Question: New to Texas-Need Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/question-new-texas-need-help-213842/)

Haleyschiber 06-15-2013 08:17 PM

Question: New to Texas-Need Help!

Greetings!
My name is Haley, and I will soon be moving to Texas. I am looking at the Austin area, and will need a barn to take lessons at, and eventually (when I find a new horse) a place to board. I will also be looking for fellow horse loving friends :). I just sold my 13 y.o. quarter gelding Java. (He was a beaut, grulla). I'm also going to want to get back into barrel racing, here's the kicker. I'm not exactly sure what to look for when purchasing a barrel horse, as I've only ever ridden my friends/lesson horses in shows. I consider my self an experienced intermediate rider...I'd love some feedback and all information that y'all have! Thanks,
-Haley

Cacowgirl 06-16-2013 09:39 AM

Best thing,get your move done, then check out the local scene through bulletin boards,ads @ local feed/tack stores. Ask around about shows, horse activites,etc. Attend, observe,collect numbers & do some follow-up. Take your time & hope you find another great horse!

Endiku 06-16-2013 03:20 PM

Often if you go to barrel meets, you'll also find a lot of riders who are interested in selling their horses if they do it very competitively and have more than one horse. That's a great way to exchange information, look for a suitable horse, and see how they run.

huntergrl 06-20-2013 06:57 AM

Be careful in Texas! I love the state, grew up the first 10 years of my life there. Wish I could move back, but long story and it would take too much out of my family to go back. Its got a slew of people who love horses so there is major competition in barrels and that makes for alot more dishonest sellers who know they can get one over on you. Just make sure to do the vet check thing when you find one you like. Don't trust just anyone and if they don't want you doing the vet check pick it up and move on. I do envy you though :)