The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Are we improving at the canter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/we-improving-canter-213890/)

LoveIsTheAnswer 06-15-2013 10:11 PM

Are we improving at the canter?

So my mare and I have been working on slowing her canter. We've been doing lots of transitions and so far, when I ask for the canter, she takes two or three slow and collected steps but after that she just breaks into a gallop. She has the two good strides though. Are we doing good? And is there any other exercises I could do?

wild old thing 06-19-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveIsTheAnswer (Post 2811714)
So my mare and I have been working on slowing her canter. We've been doing lots of transitions and so far, when I ask for the canter, she takes two or three slow and collected steps but after that she just breaks into a gallop. She has the two good strides though. Are we doing good? And is there any other exercises I could do?

I'm looking forward to reading the responses as I have a similar issue with the horse I'm assigned this summer.

When he and I lope he often speeds up. So my instructor watched us yesterday and told me like with a trot, I have to cue to slow him to the speed I want using primarily my seat/pelvis. The problem is when he feels me do that his instinct is to break so I have to continue giving leg to spur him on. She says it will take time to coordinate my body and brain to say it specifically enough for him. Some horses, easy peasy. Some horses, you have to give them very specific instructions.

tinyliny 06-19-2013 03:32 PM

Can you post a video for critique? it's much easier to see what's going on than try to imagine from the written word.

freia 06-19-2013 04:57 PM

Without the video to watch, this is a stab in the dark. A lot of people will lean forward or get up into a half-seat when the horse starts to canter. Many horses take this as a cue to go faster. When he hits that first canter-step, sit deep and calm with your back upright and follow his movement, but don't squeeze him on. Your seat should be able to keep him at the right tempo.

wetrain17 06-20-2013 12:19 PM

Is this something new or has she always done this? Has it always been after 2 or 3 strides she speeds up? What are you doing up there knowing she's going to speed up? Meaning, are you getting tense when going into the canter? Are you giving her freedom through her shoulder or are you restricting it? (i've seen horses "protest" a restricted shoulder by going faster). Are you telling her whoa, but go, when first breaking into the canter? How exactly are you riding this? There's a lot that can be going on here so giving you a solid answer will be tough without video...